Medical Do I have a shot at medical schools this cycle, or should I plan on post-bacc work to repair my GPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent graduate of a midwestern state school as of May 2019 and am planning on taking the MCAT on June 29th.

My cGPA is 3.1 and sGPA is 3.2.

- 300 hours volunteering with underserved kids at elementary school
- 100 hours Boys and Girls club
- 120 hours physician shadowing
- 3 years clinical experience with 3000+ hours
- Pre-med society member

I am nervous about applying this cycle due to my lower then average GPA. From the research that I have done I also realize that doing well in a post bacc program may be my way in if I am not successful this cycle. I have been studying nonstop for the MCAT and hope that if I can score at least a 510 that I will be okay.

I have also been offered a GA position at my school that would pay for a masters program if I am not able to be accepted this cycle.

What can I do to strengthen my application?

Any advice would be very much appreciated and I am more than happy to answer any questions.

Thanks

It's difficult to really say what your chances are without an actual MCAT score.

The main thing to strengthen your application is what you already mention - your GPA. Both the cGPA and sGPA need to increase.

Members don't see this ad.

I am heavily considering pursuing a postbac in public health. What are your thoughts on how this could impact my application? Based on what you have seen with comparable situations, what should my target MCAT score be?

Post-bac in public health will do nothing for MD, but will be counted in AACOMAS gGPA for DO. However, at least at my school, we discount MPH style curricula because we find that they are nowhere near as rigorous as coursework that mimics med school.

You need to ace (3.7+ a DIY post-bac) and score 505+ for DO. 510+ for your state MD; and 513+ for other MD

Year 1: 2.50
Year 2: 2.77
Year 3: 2.95
Year 4: 3.3
Year 5: 3.5

My lowest grade is a C+ in Organic 1.

My application list is exclusively DO med schools at this point considering my current application. I may apply to University of Columbia-Mizzou as well.

You need to ace (3.7+ a DIY post-bac) and score 505+ for DO. 510+ for your state MD; and 513+ for other MD

Agreed!

UMissouri-Columbia does consider those who demonstrate academic capability late in the game. You might be interested in this old thread of an applicant with 2.77cGPA post-bacc 3.66 GPA, 34 MCAT who got into there: MD - School List Please: Non-Trad, 2.77cGPA post-bacc 3.66 GPA, 34 MCAT

Status
Not open for further replies.