Do I have a shot with these stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EpiFem

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to med schools, but am wondering what my odds are. I am a grad student in epidemiology - my grad school grades are good, but my undergrad was not . My stats are:
undergrad BCPM: 3.27
undergrad overall: 3.36
grad BCPM: 3.9 (mostly biostats classes)
grad overall: 3.67
MCAT: 31

I've heard that it's a good idea to apply to many schools, so I'm applying to 19 which includes schools from Jefferson and my state school to Harvard.

Do people think that my much better grad school grades will "cancel out" my not so great undergrad grades?! I've also done a lot of research - though no publications :(
I also have a two very good extra-curriculars - one medical, one non-medical.

So...what do people think my odds are? Should I be making backup plans?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

it will not cancel it out, but what it will do is boost it. You did decent in grad school and so that will show the adcomm's you can handle the work, but to say that it will cancel your lower undergrad grades is a little far-fetched.
If you apply to a wide range of schools you should have a good shot of getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends what are u trying to shoot:)

so much cheesy humor!

I am trying to get into medical school. Preferably a "Top 50" school, but I'll take what I can get.

I'm applying to a range of schools - "easier" schools like BU, MCW, Wake, Tufts, GW, Georgetown. ANd I'm applying to more selective schools like U of Chicago, Dartmouth, Northwestern, U Pitt, and Case. And I'm applying to some reach schools - Cornell, Duke, Standford, Harvard.

Originally posted by EpiFem

undergrad BCPM: 3.27
undergrad overall: 3.36
grad BCPM: 3.9 (mostly biostats classes)
grad overall: 3.67
MCAT: 31

my stats were:

ugrad 2.77
grad 3.67
mcat: 31

i was accepted this year to my top choice. don't lose hope, you got a shot.

What was your grad program in, if I may ask?

i think u can increases your chances of shooting for stanford if you can spell the school name correctly. hope that helps.

Originally posted by Adcadet

I'm applying to a range of schools - "easier" schools like BU, MCW, Wake, Tufts, GW, Georgetown. ANd I'm applying to more selective schools like U of Chicago, Dartmouth, Northwestern, U Pitt, and Case. And I'm applying to some reach schools - Cornell, Duke, Standford, Harvard.

Actually, the "easy" schools you listed are all in the top tier except for GW---you better be careful. Out of 125 schools, you're only applying to those in the top 50...you might wanna add some more, but that's my opinion. If you don't believe me, check the "not accepted yet sdners" thread....lots of people with great stats didn't get in, partially due to the caliber of schools they applied to. If you applied to more "easy" schools than those listed, please disregard this message, but it's good advice for anyone anyway. :)

Who got shot? :confused: Is there a doctor in the house? Help!

i would say the best answer to your question is maybe

I think you have a chance, and your grad GPA is great,

Good luck:clap:

Originally posted by Adcadet
so much cheesy humor!

I am trying to get into medical school. Preferably a "Top 50" school, but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks for the PM, AdCadet. I see we are applying to some of the same schools - except for that "Standford" - never heard of that one ;)
But with my stats I think I can't afford not to apply to a few more lower-end schools.

You got a good chance of getting in. Now you should just concentrate on your apps and such and stop worrying about your numbers.

it seems like your stats are competitive, but i second the notion that you add more non-tier 1 schools on your list.
in addition, i think there is a consensus among Amcoms that graduate gpa's tend to be padded. regardless, you'll be fine. just add some more "lower tier" schools.