Nov 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok so I completed 2 years of undergrad as premed with a 3.4 gpa. I decided to go nursing school based on my mothers advice which I fully regret because it only made me realize how much I wanted to be a doctor instead. I completed a year the first semester I did fine but the second semester I had alot going on. I had 2 deaths in my family my boyfriend and I broke up I got sick in the hospital and I was miserable and hated nursing school. I should of withdrew the semester but I decided to stick it out. I got 2 Fs 1 D and 4 As. It brought my overall GPA down to 2.8. I cant go back and repeat the classes I failed because Im not welcome back at that school. I decided to take an Emt class after that and Ive also been accepted to start Paramedic school in Jan if I want. I still have another 2 years as undergrad to finish my Bachelors I can bust my butt and bring up my 2.8. I still have to take classes like organ chem and physics so Im not done with my prereqs. Im considering doing paramedic as well so I can take classes like pharm which I failed in nursing school and show that I can make a good grade doing that. Im just wondering whats your advice. Stay in undergrad improve my GPA try to get a high MCAT and continue working as an EMT or try paramedic school while focusing on bring my undergrad GPA up as well. Do I even have a shot considering my previous experience in nursing school?

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
stay in undergrad and rock the rest of your pre-reqs and take other classes to bring up that gpa. if you can get your sGPA to around a 3.4 and your overall gpa to a 3.2 or higher you'll be fine for DO schools (assuming you have a 25 MCAT or higher). keep working at it and get the traditional ECs (shadowing, volunteering clinical/non-clinical, research, IM sports, etc). dont do paramedic school unless you absolutely and actually want to.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
You could remove the Fs and D from inclusion in your AACOMAS application GPA by retaking them, as they only include the most recent grade when you retake. This need not be done at the same school.

What kind of school kicks you out when you fail due to a documented iillness causing hospitalization? Did you meet with a school official and bring in your hospital records or a doctors note about the situation? Possibly you could petition for a retroactive withdrawal from those classes since they didn't offer you due consideration.

OP
M
Nov 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I tried to petition my case but the Dean did not care. He told me that I could pursue my degree at another school and repeat those courses but I could not return back due to the schools policy of so many failures. I was going to try to retake the courses but that would involve going to another nursing school and I realized that I didnt want to be a nurse so I dont see the point in that. I was sick during the semester but not the whole semester so he wondered why I didnt just withdraw from the very beginning which I should of just done but I cant go back now. I failed 1 nursing course pharm and patho so I dont know how I can repeat those courses if Im not actually in nursing school.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
Retaking may not necessarily mean going to another nursing school. AACOMAS is fairly liberal about what they'll use as a substitute. The course name need not be the same if the course content is similar. I looked in my local community college's flyer and they have Allied Health Pharmacology and Bio Pathophysiology. They have nursing classes too. Maybe your local CC has some similar (cheap) courses available. If you find something similar, then call AACOMAS and ask ahead of time if they are substitutable. Don't give up without trying.

osteohopeful09

7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status
Trust me, from personal experience. You MUST get your GPA to 3 or above to get into a DO program. You will not make it past many of the cut offs, or else you will waste your time doing secondaries with no chance of getting in.

An MCAT of 26 or high should also be considered the minimum, if your GPA will "only" be a 3.0

Im not trying to be mean, just going on personal experience, what I was told during my interviews.

Jun 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
if you can get a 4.0 for the next 2 years you might be able to apply with a 3.4 which is DO worthy

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Ok so I completed 2 years of undergrad as premed with a 3.4 gpa. I decided to go nursing school based on my mothers advice which I fully regret because it only made me realize how much I wanted to be a doctor instead. I completed a year the first semester I did fine but the second semester I had alot going on. I had 2 deaths in my family my boyfriend and I broke up I got sick in the hospital and I was miserable and hated nursing school. I should of withdrew the semester but I decided to stick it out. I got 2 Fs 1 D and 4 As. It brought my overall GPA down to 2.8. I cant go back and repeat the classes I failed because Im not welcome back at that school. I decided to take an Emt class after that and Ive also been accepted to start Paramedic school in Jan if I want. I still have another 2 years as undergrad to finish my Bachelors I can bust my butt and bring up my 2.8. I still have to take classes like organ chem and physics so Im not done with my prereqs. Im considering doing paramedic as well so I can take classes like pharm which I failed in nursing school and show that I can make a good grade doing that. Im just wondering whats your advice. Stay in undergrad improve my GPA try to get a high MCAT and continue working as an EMT or try paramedic school while focusing on bring my undergrad GPA up as well. Do I even have a shot considering my previous experience in nursing school?
Your situation is heartbreaking...I know that some nursing schools have very hard and fast rules which can be stupid sometimes. As a nurse, I always tell people dont do nursing if your objectives are to be in the healthcare industry and to make quick money because they are in for a big reality check (I made that mistake myself). First of all, nursing school is hard contrary to what most people think. Also, most nursing jobs are "blue collar" jobs ie you use mostly routine stuff to complete the tasks and these jobs are physically demanding. As for your situation, if you wanna have a shot at medical school, get you GPA up preferablely 3.2+ s/cGPA and with an MCAT of 26+ , you will have a decent at shot DO schools.