Do i have any chance at getting into DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronjon43211

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i graduated my college with a B.S in psychology and a 2.84 gpa. Since then i'v been taking the prerequisites for DO school and have a 3.7 gpa. I only have 1 prerequisite course left, but taking a few extra courses to boost my gpa, then taking the MCATs in the fall. I have also been working in a hospital to gain patient contact experience. I was also able to shadow some of the DO's, MD's and PA's there as well.
Two questions:
1) Even though my gpa was low during my undergrad, will schools notice that i started getting my act together with my grades?
2) If i get a 30+ on the MCATs, will that give me a chance with any DO school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the best thing you can do for your GPA is to retake some of your bad grades. this will significantly raise your GPA and quickly. This will only help your DO application, but their grade replacement will do wonders.

If you decide to retake some of your lowest grades to invoke the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy, and to be sure your GPA passes schools' automatic stats filters, be sure you retake for the same credit hours or greater. The classes need not be retaken at the same school or even have an identical course title, but the course description, per the catalog, should show they are substantially similar.

Yes, schools will notice your upward grade trend, provided your stats exceed automatic cutoffs and a pair of human eyeballs look at the application.

Your postbac coursework will be included in your undergrad GPA even though college grades and postbac grades are also shown separately. If yours is now over a 3.0, with a 30+ MCAT score, there is a chance a DO school will accept you. This would be more likely if your ECs are really terrific.