Do I have any chance at Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpman14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
35O MCAT (13V 12P 10B)
3.92 GPA 3.9 science GPA from University of Wisconsin
Lots of EC including 6 months (three summers) of volunteering at a Peruvian orphanage, lots of leadership (RA), research in a hospital setting with part of my job being a spanish medical translator, speak spanish very well, volunteer in hospital, shadowing, etc.

So... I know that Mayo accepts only 42 students each year and I am wondering if with my stats I should even bother... I know they are pretty decent but for mayo?

I would really like to go there...

What do you think?!

Members don't see this ad.

35O MCAT (13V 12P 10B)
3.92 GPA 3.9 science GPA from University of Wisconsin
Lots of EC including 6 months (three summers) of volunteering at a Peruvian orphanage, lots of leadership (RA), research in a hospital setting with part of my job being a spanish medical translator, speak spanish very well, volunteer in hospital, shadowing, etc.

So... I know that Mayo accepts only 42 students each year and I am wondering if with my stats I should even bother... I know they are pretty decent but for mayo?

I would really like to go there...

What do you think?!

Average Cumulative GPA: 3.84
Average Total MCAT: 33

You definitely have a shot.

Mayo definitely focuses more on the person than really high numbers. All you can really do is apply and count your blessings with each stage you move on to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo definitely focuses more on the person than really high numbers. All you can really do is apply and count your blessings with each stage you move on to.

People on here keep saying that, but they can't be accepting too many people with low numbers with a 3.85 gpa median, so I think it's more accurate that you need their "type" in addition to the numbers, rather than one or th other. The mcat seems to not be quite the same however.

You have just as much of a chance and the next person given what we have seen about you. Yes you have the grades and MCAT to get into Mayo, but that's not enough. We don't know what about you is enough to get you into Mayo, and we honestly can't. So yes it's hard given their class of 43 students to say if you should be expecting a big envelope from them, but they won't be laughing at your app while they are reading it (unless your PS is really funny).

Actually, while there are 42 spots in the med school class, 6 are for MD/PhD and 2 are for MD/OMS. :oops:

Anyway, it seems to me that Mayo tends to be a little more demanding with regard to gpa than MCAT. Although most students do seem to have both a high gpa and MCAT. But I agree that Mayo definitely does look past the numbers. If I were you, I'd read the Mayo web site to exhaustion, with specific attention to the Mayo Clinic Model of Care:

http://www.mayo.edu/pmts/mc4200-mc4299/mc4270.pdf

Mayo screens before they send out secondaries, so you'll just have to hope that luck is on your side. I would think that showing your passion for the ECs you described above would help significantly toward increasing your chances of receiving a secondary. And supposedly they also highly value diversity in their class, in whatever shape or form that diversity may present itself.

Once you receive the secondary, pour your heart and soul into the essays and really show them who you are, what's driving you to become a doctor, and why you think you'd be an amazing fit and addition to their class. And if you feel REALLY TRULY DEEPLY passionately about Mayo, you could even attach a letter of interest to your secondary. I know that most people say not to send a letter of interest pre-interview, but hey, it didn't seem to hurt my chances any....

Good luck!!! :luck:

Last edited: