MD Do I have any chance this application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thaway23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'd like to thank anyone who responds in advance. I could really use some honest advice.
-----
I'm currently a junior. Here are my stats as they would be if I applied this upcoming cycle:

GPA: c3.58, s3.44
MCAT: taking the new one—hence the uncertainty on my part
Clinical experience: ~40 hours shadowing on the General Medicine unit, ~40 hours clinical volunteering in a retirement home
Research: 9 months as a research assistant on an ongoing clinical trial, hopefully prepping for a poster presentation this summer; a summer research project after freshman year
Other activities: 20 hours non-clinical volunteering; part of the University Honor Council (am a trial counsel); on our University Electoral Board; Resident Advisor; an average member of the pre-med organization

The dilemma: The missing piece is the MCAT score. Realistically, I think I can score the equivalent of 35+ on the new MCAT. It's not overconfidence; I recently took a diagnostic that I did very well on, plus I have a lighter course load this semester so I can study hard. But, even with that MCAT, I fear that my application cycle will still be a disappointment. I really hope to go MD, though of course I would also apply DO.

Would it be best to delay my application a year? Pros: boosting that sGPA, better chance of good MCAT, more clinical shadowing/volunteering, avoiding re-applicant bias if having to re-apply. Cons: having to wait a year, needing to find a bridge year opportunity. My dream school is the med school attached to my undergraduate institution, which MSAR notes has a median GPA of 3.9 (!) and an MCAT of 36...but the more I type, the more I feel this is completely out of reach.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated! :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To be brutally honest:

With your current stats and even assuming a 35 MCAT, your chances at your dream school (and other top tier med schools) will be very low.

You would however have a decent shot at most mid/low tier schools (provided you get a 33+ MCAT).

If you want to aim for top schools I'd recommend taking a gap year.

Reactions: 1 users
To be brutally honest:

With your current stats and even assuming a 35 MCAT, your chances at your dream school (and other top tier med schools) will be very low.

You would however have a decent shot at most mid/low tier schools (provided you get a 33+ MCAT).

If you want to aim for top schools I'd recommend taking a gap year.

Thanks for your response. You definitely confirmed what I was thinking. I'm not too set on a top tier school but I also don't want to ruin my future chances if I have to re-apply. Do you have any information about the veracity of the "re-applicant bias"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, to be honest with you, your application is borderline "average" for most medical schools without the MCAT. This is how I see it:
a) Clinical experience: not much at all (you need more than 40 hours to show your commitment)
b) Research: ok but not impressive
c) Other activities: same as clinical experience
d) MCAT: this will be your critical piece of your application
e) GPA: a little bit below average

Overall, you application will not be as competitive as others since you haven't showed the adcoms your motivation and commitment to pursue medicine. The most critical part will be the MCAT, Granted you will get 33+ MCAT, you will have a good chance at mid and low-tier medical schools. However, with your current ECs, you will not get into a top-tier medical schools even with at 35+ MCAT. Try to ace that MCAT and get more clinical exposure, shadowing, and volunteering.

Words are easy, doing is hard.

Realistically, I think I can score the equivalent of 35+ on the new MCAT. It's not overconfidence;

I think so. You have several deficits. Your GPAs are below average, but not lethally so. Your ECs are more of a problem. I think that you should double the clinical volunteering, and get > 150 hrs of non-clinical volunteering. Get off of your campus and out of your comfort zone. Your local houses of worship would be good places to look for opportunities. Show off your altruism!

There are plenty of med schools for which I think you can be competitive for if you burnish your credentials and do well on MCAT. But I'd give up on the UG's med school.

Would it be best to delay my application a year? Pros: boosting that sGPA, better chance of good MCAT, more clinical shadowing/volunteering, avoiding re-applicant bias if having to re-apply. Cons: having to wait a year, needing to find a bridge year opportunity. My dream school is the med school attached to my undergraduate institution, which MSAR notes has a median GPA of 3.9 (!) and an MCAT of 36...but the more I type, the more I feel this is completely out of reach.