Do I have any chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammy1024

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure these types of questions are asked a million times, but i wanted some advice from someone who ISN'T family, who would have a more critical outlook on my chances.

I have a 3.137, 3.01 sgpa.

I did very poorly my freshman year, earning a 2.0 and spent the next 3 years bringing it up. (So my GPA is an upward trent, i graphed it).

I have clinical experience of almost 3 year, this may. I've shadowed an MD on/off for a year, and am hoping to begin shadowing a DO doctor in the next week or so (hopefully).

I posted an earlier question about activities, where I have done a few volunteering activities with school clubs on/off.

I did do research for about 6 months, and then stopped because the grad student I worked under finished her research. She did, however, love me, and wrote me a promising letter (i'm assuming).

I have a job but it wasn't during school, I got it after i graduated where I tutor underprivileged children in math and reading/language arts.

I can get at least a 28 on my MCAT, which is what i've been averaging right now (hopefully can bring it up a few more points by May).

I was wondering if I have a decent chance of getting into a DO school? I know that it has become pretty competitive over the years.

Members don't see this ad.

The GPA is a bit low but if you can get a 28+ MCAT then you should be OK. Just make sure you apply broadly!

You might also want to increase your volunteering or clinical hours.

Reactions: 2 users
I've done 422 hours on the hospital floors, and then I joined their leadership team and have done 455 hours for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure these types of questions are asked a million times, but i wanted some advice from someone who ISN'T family, who would have a more critical outlook on my chances.

I did very poorly my freshman year, earning a 2.0 and spent the next 3 years bringing it up. (So my GPA is an upward trent, i graphed it).

I have clinical experience of almost 3 year, this may. I've shadowed an MD on/off for a year, and am hoping to begin shadowing a DO doctor in the next week or so (hopefully).

I posted an earlier question about activities, where I have done a few volunteering activities with school clubs on/off.

I did do research for about 6 months, and then stopped because the grad student I worked under finished her research. She did, however, love me, and wrote me a promising letter (i'm assuming).

I have a job but it wasn't during school, I got it after i graduated where I tutor underprivileged children in math and reading/language arts.

I can get at least a 28 on my MCAT, which is what i've been averaging right now (hopefully can bring it up a few more points by May).

I was wondering if I have a decent chance of getting into a DO school? I know that it has become pretty competitive over the years.

a few points worth considering,

I hope you can get a 28+ on your MCAT, though it's not wise to "count" on it, even though you are averaging that right now over some FL's. This comes from personal experience, just a word of caution. Having said that, it is best to study hard until the end and not to assume any score as a given just "because I got that on the FL's". However, it does not hurt to make some assumptions, which leads me to:

Even assuming you score a 28, your GPA will be a huge factor against you. I don't think that score will redeem your GPA for most/many schools, BUT it may for others. In this case, you have to play with what you have and highlight everything else. Write a winning essay, write carefully crafted descriptions of your experience/honors/etc on the app. All this needs to put you in a good light, without misinforming the ADCOM of course, write winning secondaries, apply very early, and last but not least research extensively the schools you are to apply to. For example, you apply to Campbell or Marian because they are new schools, and someone told you to apply to all new schools. Well, that won't cut it because they may be new schools, but they also have high automatic GPA cut-offs. You get my idea, research schools, mission, vision, location, etc and go from there.

I think you may be able to get some interviews, but it will take some planning and hard work and maybe a bit of luck. Destroy that MCAT, that can only help you! Good luck.

My 0.02

Apply broadly and I think you'll have a decent chance of acceptances.

In addition to what the other posters said, you might want to really look into retaking science classes in which you received a C/D/F. Grade replacement can work wonders on the GPA. You said your freshman year in particular was rough, so you should be able to find most or all of those classes at your local community college.

Reactions: 1 user
score 27+ on MCAT, apply to 15+ schools and you should get in.

In addition to what the other posters said, you might want to really look into retaking science classes in which you received a C/D/F. Grade replacement can work wonders on the GPA. You said your freshman year in particular was rough, so you should be able to find most or all of those classes at your local community college.

OP posted a similar thread in the WAMC forum. He/she retook all but one class with a C. The GPA is due to maintaining a B average. Like others have said you stand a chance with a strong MCAT. However your odds will go up considerably with a couple semester more of primarily A work.

Could go either way, but a broad application is necessary if you want to get in.

Thank you so much for your input! :]

I agree with what people posted above. Things to remember:

1) Don't count on any MCAT score. Study hard, and take the test. I (and I know others in similar situations) scored 3 points below my FL/AAMC practice test averages when I took the real thing. That was fine for me, because I was averaging in the high 30s, and I doubt where I ended up would have been much different. You can't predict what is going to be on the test. Just try and be as prepared as possible, and then don't look back.

2) Your grades are low, but not terrible. With a high 20s or low 30s MCAT, you should be fine. Shadow the DO and get the LOR.

3) Apply BROADLY and EARLY. Even if you get a 28-30 on the MCAT, you still have a huge red flag (GPA). Applying early means you have a better shot at more of the schools on your list. Submit your app June 1st (at least to 1 school), regardless of whether you get your MCAT score back. When you get your score, then apply broadly to the rest of the school (if you hadn't already). Your list should be include 15+ schools including many of the newer ones.

I've done 422 hours on the hospital floors, and then I joined their leadership team and have done 455 hours for that.

Wow, I have about 400 hours spread out between three years (clinically) and about 20 non clinical. That's really impressive.- ~900 hours.

Why do 90%+ of WAMC threads have students that have not yet taken the MCAT? It's sort of a make or break variable. Your practice tests may say you'll get a 28, but come actual test day, you could break under the stress or have a bad day or whatever. Anyway, with a 28, your chances are good if you apply broadly.