do I have any chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oneday

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Your comments are appreciated.
I started out bad...1st semester about 2.0, thereafter 3.93. Overall 3.62
MCAT went terrible.... took it twice and probably will take it again either this year or next...
4,7,9,P(vr, ps, bs, wr)
2,9,10,M (vr, ps, bs, wr) (still not sure how I got a 2... I am sure it was a technical error...nontheless....its there on my recrod)
I wonder if I have any chance at all...if I improve or with these scores? Please let me know what you all think...I have gotten one DO school interview and one Postbac program interview so far... waiting to hear from a whole bunch of other MD and DO schools...
I have done research, volunteer work etc... I am published... Had a good personal statement...

Members don't see this ad.

retake the MCAT.

What state are you from and where did you apply?

mj

There is no question, that you should take the MCAT's and try your HARDEST to improve your verbal. I think the 4 is really hurting your chances. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
While I agree that a MCAT re-take should be on the horizon, you should ask yourself a few other questions. First, what else are you doing? Are you volunteering as much as possible and fostering relaionships with influential DOs in your area? Second, are you contacting the schools you are intereted in and asking them, "what hoops do I need to jump through to get this?", then doing it? I firmly believe DO schools put a tremendous amount of stock in the amount of a person's drive. If you can demonstrate this, you won a major battle in the war.

To answer your question, you do have a good chance, b/c (if the truth were known) the schools do not focus that heavily on verbal, but more so on the sciences piece of the MCAT (which you were strong in).

Just so you know where I am coming from. I had a poor undergrad GPA, great grad GPA, good post bac GPA and average MCAT. I say all this to let you know that I was accepted to 2 schools and will be begining in the Fall. Like me, you do it if you really want it!!!! Only other piece of advice, apply as early as possible. (i.e., request your transcripts even before the AACOMAS apps are available)

Good luck!

rellik

Hi everyone
I wanted to thank you all of you for taking the time and replying to my question.
Thank you much and good luck on everything!