nickjohnson

10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Canadian citizen,
Primarily looking at Canadian schools, although I'm starting to look into US/international options at this point.
3.3 GPA (as well as 3.3 whether just science, final two years etc.) at Queen's University (Canada),
MCAT 33k
Decent LOR's
500+ volunteer hours divided fairly evenly between a hospital emergency room, a UBC medical genetics lab and a volunteer abroad program (Delhi, India)

I am still waiting to hear back from a few Canadian schools, however, many of them are imposing minimum writing sample scores and I am ineligible due to my K. This was the second time writing the MCAT and the first time I got an L. I really don't understand how I could receive such a low mark but I suppose I'm just digressing at this point. My GPA is admittedly not so hot either.

Do I have any chance of med school in Canada from anyone's personal experience? I wish to practice here and I know it's hell coming back to Canada from any international school. But if not, are there any US or other international schools that I would have a good shot at?

Thanks in advance!

Mindscrew

MS MHA-MPH
Oct 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
it also depends on what your objectives are. if you want to return to practice in canada, you cannot with a DO. then I would suggest going abroad caribbean. you would likely get into one of the big three or four.

OP
N

nickjohnson

10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the canadian school run-down. Disheartening, but really appreciate it.

As far as raising my GPA, I'm out of Uni, so that's the problem. I don't even know how I would go about bringing my GPA up and even if I could take a full year of courses and get a 3.8, it would bring up my total GPA by 0.1 or 0.2... not a huge improvement. And then even that is nowhere near a guarantee so if I still can't get in, I've paid a ridiculous amount of money and wasted a year of my life.

Am I to understand from everyone else that american MD is 100% out of my reach? I was under the impression that there were some much lower tiered schools that were within my limits?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Am I to understand from everyone else that american MD is 100% out of my reach? I was under the impression that there were some much lower tiered schools that were within my limits?
Look into SMPs (Special Masters Programs) as a route to redeeming the low cGPA and having a potential path to US MD. See the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum for info.