1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

do i have any remote chance

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by anastasia higgins, Apr 27, 2001.

1. anastasia higgins

anastasia higgins New Member

i have regretfully received C's in basically all the pre-med curriculum because of past confusion and issues--i know realize that i want to be a DO and nothing else. Do you think i would have a chance if i redid all those clases and get A's or is that frowned upon? Thanks!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ana

ana

You have little to gain by repeating those classes. If you get an A, it doesn't mean much because you have already taken them and were therefore expected to get an A. If you get less than an A, then it looks like crap.

The best thing you can do is to take upper division basic life science courses that you haven't taken yet and knock them cold -- straight A's for you from now on. Choose courses that will prepare you for medical school: cell biology, molecular bio, genetics, physiology, HIV, immunology, etc.

The only exception to this is if you got a C- or less in a dept. in which you do not intend to take more upper division courses in (for eg., if you got a C- or less in gen. chem or physics and you do not want to take advanced courses in those areas). Since they are prequisites and you are required to have a C or better in them for med school, you will have to repeat them and get A's for it to look good.

[This message has been edited by ana (edited April 28, 2001).]

4. mcprotein

mcprotein Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Actually re-taking the classes would help(if your gpa is <3.0), because your gpa would drastically increase. Furthermore, the apps that the schools receive from aacomas do not show what classes you have taken-it only shows a gpa, and that may get you an interview, which is key. Also, take the higher level courses.

5. Aloha Kid

Aloha Kid Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You definitely have couple of options.

6. Aloha Kid

Aloha Kid Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You definitely have couple of options. First, it would be to retake all of the course work and get all A's. Realize, however, that although this definitely shows you have mastered the material, it took you two times as long than a 4.0 student who did it the first time around. Second, don't retake the course work but continue to take advanced coursework. Perhaps even go for a Master's someplace. Be sure, however, that your grades improve drastically if you go this route, Third, study like mad for the MCAT and nail it with scores all above 10 and 11. By so doing, it shows that you are atleast a stinkin genius and a hell of a test taker. But realize, however, that medical schools will want to know that although you certainly have the brains to nail the MCAT, why were your grades so bad? For example, Did you have five kids at school and worked full time? Were you class president, kayaking club president, math club president, and played Division I sports? The excuse better be a good one. THese are just some of the options I can think of. Of course, it's just my opinion according to my understanding of the process. Good Luck. Perhaps the most important asset you can have is your will to become a doctor.

7. Vince

Vince Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I wouldn't retake all of them either, unless you haven't taken the MCAT and want to better prepare for it. Like if you got a "C" in Organic or something, an "A" would replace the "C", improve your GPA, and hopefully help you get a better score on the MCAT. Take some upper level classes that show you are capable of excelling in tougher courses. Some good ones to take that would better help you with med school are Biochemistry, Microbiology, and maybe Immunology or Genetics. Good Luck. Be persistent. Even if you are unsure of yourself, apply to schools anyways. The worst thing they can say is "No."

Vince
    COMP 2005