Do I have any shot at Brown Med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desi5286

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
desi5286 said:
Alright...I am going to say it like it is...

I am applying to an Early Decision Program. Brown has been my dream school since 7th grade. I really did not care about grades/SATs so much during high school....got a 3.6/1090 SAT. In college I have a 4.0 science GPA in the 1st 3 semesters and 3.898 overall GPA. I take school seriously now. Anyway...

How do I bypass the SAT scores? My application is due next week and I do not know whether to include a letter stating english is my second language and thus I did not do well, or just play it off and tell them in my interview?

BTW: Captain of 3 sports in HS, tons of EC now and in HS, work 24 hrs/wk since highschool. Do I have any shot?

like omg i hav a 3.97 sciance gpa after 5 semesters and a 42 mcaT. i volunteer and fund a new way to diignose a diseaz. Do you think I can get in :love: :love: :love: ? in high school in '82 i wuz the man

umm they asks for highschool SAT scores in the applications? I dont know even remember what I got on my SAT and that was only 5 years ago. What about your mcat?

Members don't see this ad :)
pacboy said:
umm they asks for highschool SAT scores in the applications? I dont know even remember what I got on my SAT and that was only 5 years ago. What about your mcat?
ahahahahahaha! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

desi5286 said:

I am applying to an Early Decision Program. Brown has been my dream school since 7th grade. I really did not care about grades/SATs so much during high school....got a 3.6/1090 SAT. In college I have a 4.0 science GPA in the 1st 3 semesters and 3.898 overall GPA. I take school seriously now. Anyway...

How do I bypass the SAT scores? My application is due next week and I do not know whether to include a letter stating english is my second language and thus I did not do well, or just play it off and tell them in my interview?

BTW: Captain of 3 sports in HS, tons of EC now and in HS, work 24 hrs/wk since highschool. Do I have any shot?

My guess is that because you are applying ED to Brown you are maybe a sophomore in college? Maybe that is why they are asking your SAT scores (do you know for sure that they want it?)

What is your undergrad institution?

desi5286 said:

If they are taking SAT in place of MCAT, probably not - but like Nehs said, retake the SAT before applying if possible. If not, just wait and apply reg. decision with a solid MCAT score. Also, look into the Brown/Dartmouth program. In the program, you do your first 2 years at Dartmouth and finish your last 2 at Brown, getting your MD from Brown. Just a thought.

Last edited:
desi5286 said:

Brown sucks. I pray for you that you don't get admitted. God, what an awful place.

I am familiar with this program and its cousin, the Brown-Brown double (where you apply to Brown medical school out of high school -- you are obligated to go to Brown undergrad, maintain a certain GPA, and you automatically get into Brown med -- but you are legally prohibited from even applying to other schools). Unfortunately, kid, you have no shot with your current sat score. I mean, by all means apply -- it won't hurt you. But keep up the good work at your state school, get a good score on the mcat, keep up your EC's etc, and you'll be fine. Brown isn't that hard to get into.

desi5286 said:
Yes I am a sophomore in college...and I attend a state school.

bypass applying and spend some wonderful years as an undergrad...take your time...get some experience under your belt...you might not even be ready to take on medical school yet...im a soph so we're in the same league the way i see it

top said:
I am familiar with this program and its cousin, the Brown-Brown double (where you apply to Brown medical school out of high school -- you are obligated to go to Brown undergrad, maintain a certain GPA, and you automatically get into Brown med -- but you are legally prohibited from even applying to other schools). Unfortunately, kid, you have no shot with your current sat score. I mean, by all means apply -- it won't hurt you. But keep up the good work at your state school, get a good score on the mcat, keep up your EC's etc, and you'll be fine. Brown isn't that hard to get into.

Actually Brown is pretty hard to get into because of its small class size which is divided up into different admission routes. Also, being in the 8 year program at Brown DOES NOT prevent you from applying to other schools. You don't know anything about Brown man, and gaftt is bitter because he didn't get in....so anyway, desi you are gonna have to send SAT scores, but hopefully they will understand...

I liked Brown a lot when I visited, but that SAT score definitely has to go up for an acceptance there. I applied to their PLME when I was in HS and got rejected, the competition is fierce. On another note, how do you know Brown is your dream med school? I mean it's nice, but I wouldn't see it really as being anyone's DREAM med school. Have you seen other med schools? One thing about my trip to Brown that stuck out is that they never showed us the teaching facilities. Everytime I look back on my interview day it's pretty noticeable that all they showed us was the hospital and the Hope Club. What about the rest of the school? Are they hiding something about their medical teaching rooms?

badlydrawnvik said:
I liked Brown a lot when I visited, but that SAT score definitely has to go up for an acceptance there. I applied to their PLME when I was in HS and got rejected, the competition is fierce. On another note, how do you know Brown is your dream med school? I mean it's nice, but I wouldn't see it really as being anyone's DREAM med school. Have you seen other med schools? One thing about my trip to Brown that stuck out is that they never showed us the teaching facilities. Everytime I look back on my interview day it's pretty noticeable that all they showed us was the hospital and the Hope Club. What about the rest of the school? Are they hiding something about their medical teaching rooms?

Yo Vik, so when I went back and visited I got to see the teaching rooms...the reason they don't take people there is because they have a limited amount of time and the hospitals definately make a better impression. That being said, the biomed building is nice. They've redesigned the lobby and 1st floor so that they look like a Brown med museum...its pretty cool in that "Children's Science Center" kind of way. Also the lecture hall for our year is pretty nice, and there are cool chill areas for students. The labs are in the basement, and while they are some of the nicer labs I've seen, the basement itself is kind of scary...Good luck at Columbia man, just wanted to solve the mystery for you.

golftrippy said:
Yo Vik, so when I went back and visited I got to see the teaching rooms...the reason they don't take people there is because they have a limited amount of time and the hospitals definately make a better impression. That being said, the biomed building is nice. They've redesigned the lobby and 1st floor so that they look like a Brown med museum...its pretty cool in that "Children's Science Center" kind of way. Also the lecture hall for our year is pretty nice, and there are cool chill areas for students. The labs are in the basement, and while they are some of the nicer labs I've seen, the basement itself is kind of scary...Good luck at Columbia man, just wanted to solve the mystery for you.
Sounds pretty good, trippy, thanks for clearing it up for me. Good luck with Brown! I have a very good friend at the undergrad and when I visit her I'll have her show me more or the school.

I have a close connection to Brown and BMS, I can answer questions if you'd like -- PM me. Don't listen to Gafft, s/he has no idea what s/he's talking about.

You should also do some further research. There are a number of ways to get to BMS. One is the PLME program, which you MUST be admitted to as a high school senior. There is an Early Identification Program (EIP) but only for a limited number of universities (University of Rhode Island, Tougaloo in Mississippi, and maybe some others). The EIP program is where sophomores in college can apply -- perhaps what you are talking about. If you dont go to those schools you have to wait like the rest of us and apply through AMCAS as a senior.

Like I said, if you have questions feel free to PM me. If you'd like I may also be able to put you in touch with current students.

Finally, Vic, the reason they didnt show you the teaching rooms is that they are currently being renovated. To be honest they werent the best when I was there as an undergrad, but they putting a lot of money into new construction now.

thatslife said:
I have a close connection to Brown and BMS, I can answer questions if you'd like -- PM me. Don't listen to Gafft, s/he has no idea what s/he's talking about.

You should also do some further research. There are a number of ways to get to BMS. One is the PLME program, which you MUST be admitted to as a high school senior. There is an Early Identification Program (EIP) but only for a limited number of universities (University of Rhode Island, Tougaloo in Mississippi, and maybe some others). The EIP program is where sophomores in college can apply -- perhaps what you are talking about. If you dont go to those schools you have to wait like the rest of us and apply through AMCAS as a senior.

Like I said, if you have questions feel free to PM me. If you'd like I may also be able to put you in touch with current students.

Finally, Vic, the reason they didnt show you the teaching rooms is that they are currently being renovated. To be honest they werent the best when I was there as an undergrad, but they putting a lot of money into new construction now.

I "have no idea what I'm talking about"? That's exactly the kind of unintelligent subjective thinking that is characteristic of the characters I've met at Brown. YOU have no idea what YOU are talking about when it comes to MY knowledge and experience of Brown. You can have your own opinion just as I can. Hopefully, I've planted a seed of doubt - if not, at least I won't be at Brown.

gafft said:
I "have no idea what I'm talking about"? That's exactly the kind of unintelligent subjective thinking that is characteristic of the characters I've met at Brown. YOU have no idea what YOU are talking about when it comes to MY knowledge and experience of Brown. You can have your own opinion just as I can. Hopefully, I've planted a seed of doubt - if not, at least I won't be at Brown.

Gafft is my favorite character on this forum...and I think he single-handedly improves Brown's rep...I mean I find myself thinking, "I really love any school that drives Gafft this crazy"

Last edited:
I'm confused, why do you need sat scores for med school?

golftrippy said:
Gafft is my favorite character on this forum...and I think he single-handedly improves Brown's rep...I mean I find myself thinking, "I really love any school that drives Gafft this crazy"

I couldn't agree more.

desi5286 said:

take the gre and see if they will accept that...isnt the gre very similar to the SAT