Do I have sufficient time to raise this GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished first semester of undergrad with a GPA of 2.4. It was very difficult for me because I wasn't studying correctly and basically wasted my time even though I studied all day. I'm learning a lot more and hopefully I can begin to show it this semester. My Fall classes were: Chem 1 (D+ will retake this Spring), anatomy (C), pre-cal (B+) and chem lab (A).

My question is, would I realistically be able to raise my GPA to a around a 3.6 by junior year (doing summer classes also) by getting As and Bs?

Is dental school still a possibility or should I look somewhere else?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you can!! Make the necessary adjustments and take care of business when it comes to schoolwork. You just started...

Reactions: 1 user
Assuming you get a 4.0 throughout the remainder of your units (I estimated that you have taken 15 and need to complete another 105 to make up the typical 120 units that make up a bachelors degree in a semester-based university), you would finish with a 3.8 GPA. To achieve that 3.6GPA that you said is your goal, you would need to average a 3.77 GPA over your remaining units (of course, assuming you have completed 15 out of a total 120 units). To achieve a 3.6GPA by the end of your junior year (I.e. completed 90 units), you must average a 3.84GPA between now and then. You can easily adjust the math accordingly based on your specific unit/degree requirements.

Long story short - a 3.6 by the end of your junior year is certainly doable but it requires a big-time change in your study habits considering your first semesters grades. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You took pre cal but you cannot figure out how to calculate a potential gpa? How did you end up with anatomy as a freshman?

Reactions: 1 users
I started with a 2.8 sgpa at the end of my freshman year, ended senior year with a 3.8 sgpa. I had to get a 4.0 every semester, its difficult, but not impossible. You've got plenty of time, G/L!!!

Reactions: 1 user
lol you c0uld've just calculated this yourself...a lot of people started their first year rocky but climbed their way back up and got accepted

Last edited:
Thanks so much Haverfoodsdds and Troyvdg! I wasn't sure how to calculate it but my university has a page and I was able to see what I needed to get in future semesters. I "stumbled" into anatomy, one of my biggest mistakes because most of my focus was on that class. I took it on impulse because I had taken anatomy in HS and though it'd be similar, which is erroneous to say the least.

Thanks everyone, guess I just needed some inspiration and reassurance more than a calculation but thanks for the kind comments.

I just finished first semester of undergrad with a GPA of 2.4. It was very difficult for me because I wasn't studying correctly and basically wasted my time even though I studied all day. I'm learning a lot more and hopefully I can begin to show it this semester. My Fall classes were: Chem 1 (D+ will retake this Spring), anatomy (C), pre-cal (B+) and chem lab (A).

My question is, would I realistically be able to raise my GPA to a around a 3.6 by junior year (doing summer classes also) by getting As and Bs?

Is dental school still a possibility or should I look somewhere else?

Thank you!
Im not sure what you mean when you say you studied all day but did it incorrectly. What exactly didnt you do correct? Where you slacking on facebook half the time?

Assuming you figured out what you did wrong and now know what to do, you can recover from this. You should aim for at least 3.6 every semester and try to minimize getting any B grades.

I say that I studied incorrectly because of the grades I ended up with. For chemistry mostly, I'd do as many problems as I could but focused more on following the steps instead of understanding when to do what and such. No, I didn't slack off. I just have never had to study rigorously prior to college so it was a shocker.

I've been researching a lot and saw a ton of threads on here on how to study and plan to incorporate everything I've found so I really hope I can manage much better grades this spring.

Thanks!

I say that I studied incorrectly because of the grades I ended up with. For chemistry mostly, I'd do as many problems as I could but focused more on following the steps instead of understanding when to do what and such. No, I didn't slack off. I just have never had to study rigorously prior to college so it was a shocker.

I've been researching a lot and saw a ton of threads on here on how to study and plan to incorporate everything I've found so I really hope I can manage much better grades this spring.

Thanks!

Okay, good. You figured out your problem. I experienced the same "shocker" when I was a freshman. In highschool I never needed more than an hour of studying in the morning before class to do well on an exam. B/c I did so well, senior year of HS I had all advancement placement classes. I also had senioritis and a poor attendance record to go w/ it. Freshman year I ended up having a 2.4 GPA on the 1st semester as well. But instead of figuring out how to do better I got carried away with college life and I also didnt have a career goal in mind so I didnt care as much as I shouldve. Result: really bad grades for 2 years. Until reality set in and I came up with goals. Been pulling 4.0GPAs or near it since then.

So it is possible to make a drastic turn in your grades. I commend you for doing so now and not putting it off for later. With your early start you can recover your GPA by more than enough for acceptances to roll in on december.