Do I have sufficient volunteering to apply 2021 year, or does it look bad scattered across organizations and I need a gap?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CowsRule

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys my volunteering looks like this:

Give kids the world: 25 hrs 2 yrs

Hospital: 100 hrs 2 yrs

Free clinic: 25 hrs 1 yr

crisis text line 30 hrs 2 years

Mentoring low income youth: 20 hrs (2 meetings a month for 1 hr) 1 yr
___
200 hrs of volunteering.
I took out more volunteering hours I had because it's just scattered across organizations and I felt like it looked bad? Like I have 20 hrs with doing free taxes for those who are homeless/poverty, 10 hrs with clean the world, 10 hours with a gift for teaching, things like that. I hopped around a lot with volunteering before I found the above which I liked the most. I can get more hours this year, maybe like 60 hours max?

I have 1 year left until I apply, if I wanted to apply year 2021-22 cycle

I was leaning towards a gap year to get more hours tbh for volunteering solely I feel my app is perfect every where else.

Just in case you feel my clinical volunteering is low:

I have clinical paid experience: 1 year: 8 months as a scribe, and 4 months as a medical assistant private practice.
Scribing was in the ED and MA in Rheumatology.

25 hrs shadowing a neuromuskuloskeletal DO clinic.

Stats for now: Social work major 3.75 gpa s gpa 3.65 upward trend ORM

Took all my pre reqs at a CC but took biochemistry, genetics and immuno at the college level and got an A.

I'm solid in leadership experience and research(no pubs but 2 posters)

1. Is it a red flag that i have low hours across so many organizations for volunteering?
  2. Is this enough volunteering hours for MD?
  3. Should I apply this year 2021-2022 with these hours or apply next year after gaining more hours evenly across the organizations?

Members don't see this ad.

agree with @Faha .

Some of the top tier MD schools may have a bias against you for doing most of your science pre-reqs at community college.

If you get a good MCAT score, should help with the mid to lower tier medical schools and DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
agree with @Faha .

Some of the top tier MD schools may have a bias against you for doing most of your science pre-reqs at community college.

If you get a good MCAT score, should help with the mid to lower tier medical schools and DO schools.

I started AT a community college, I didn't go to the CC after being in a 4 year university lol I transferred to a 4 year after I did my pre-reqs and a ton of other courses. I also did microbiology and anatomy + physiology 1 and 2 with an A so I've already proved I can do well. My plan isn't harvard, yale, etc it's just going to be state schools, and highest tier I'll be going are category 2 schools like Mt. Sinai and Einstein. With my EC's and GPA+ if I do well on the MCAT I'm more than good according to WARS. I'm getting different opinions on this whole volunteering thing people are telling me that it's an issue because it's scattered across 6-7 organizations with low hours so it isn't enough all over reddit.

Reactions: 1 user
Your volunteering hours and paid clinical employment are fine to apply in 2021. Just do well on the MCAT.
I'm getting different opinions from everyone :( Reddit is saying I have 230 over 6 experiences so it doesn't look good and looks scattered/like I have a lack of interest and to get more hours before I apply so it's more balanced