Do I have the right idea for sending update letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partypantss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so since the semester is about to finish for me and most of the schools I have applied to have not gotten back to me yet, I know it is soon time for me to write them update letters. Since I have never done this before, I have been looking around for information but I still have some questions/ want to make sure I am doing this right...

First, should I separately send an official transcript from my school in order to show them my new grades from this semester? Or is listing the classes/ grades in the actual letter enough? I figured if I am supposed to send a transcript, I would mention in the letter that my newest grades are being sent from my school, correct?

Second, do people generally send an email to the admissions committee, or do you do it through portal? Am I correct in assuming that, if there's a place in the portal to update, then I should use it but if not, then send an email to the committee?

Third, what exactly is appropriate to put in the update? Should I start by describing things about the school I like, then give them updates? Is it worth it to tell them about EC's that are already on my application, but I have continued this semester? Also, is something like getting "tutor of the month" worth telling them about?

Finally, what is the difference between an update where I talk about how I like the school because of XYZ and would love the opportunity to go there versus an "actual" letter of intent?

Thank you for any feedback, and good luck to everyone else who is still looking for an acceptance this cycle like I am!

Members don't see this ad.

You will hear various opinions on what should be included in an update letter. I can't address your first point but I'll try to address the other ones.

First, determine if the schools are receptive to updates. You can do this by going to the school threads and searching "update" or even "update letter" for that specific thread and you will find out if others have sent in updates and how? whether email or portal? As well as the responses they received. This is how I found out which schools that I have not heard from are receptive to updates. I think two schools out of twelve were not receptive. Most were sent to admissions email because they did not have a portal or an option to upload documents on the portal. Or check the complete email. For some schools, they mention where to send updates, which means they accept them. Also, depending on your situation make sure they are receptive to pre-II as opposed to post-II.

Second, I really do not know what should and should not go in an update letter. I would defer that to adcoms and others. Luckily for me I had significant updates such as a new job, new shadowing (which was not present in my app), etc. Everything I mentioned was new. I heard many people say mentioning things already on your app is a time waster unless it's a research publication or major award. But take this with a grain of salt. I'm no expert on updates. I'm just desperate so I sent them in.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the feedback.. Anyone know about any of the other things I'm asking about? I just keep hearing different things about what you should/ shouldn't do/ say..

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going to send a transcript, an unofficial one is fine. You'll be required to send a final, official transcript before you matriculate, so it's not necessary to send one now just for an update.

As far as what else to include, I suppose in some sense that depends on where you are in the process. However, stating your long-term goals/interests and how the school can allow you to achieve those, briefly bringing up points about the school you're particularly interested in, and any other updates in terms of your work, ECs, etc. would all be appropriate. That being said, keep the letter to a page. Be succinct and to the point. In all likelihood the letter will simply be added to your file, so people likely aren't going to take the time to read it carefully if it blabs on and on for multiple pages. In effect, just state your case and sell yourself and hope for the best. Perhaps most importantly, don't come across as desperate.

In terms of how to send in your update, many schools have specific procedures, but in general sending it to the admissions office email will suffice. I personally prefer attaching it as a PDF rather than including the letter in the email itself, but that's a pretty minor point and I don't imagine it would matter all that much. If you have access to a scanner and can digitize your transcript, you can also attach it to your message. Again, look to see what the school prefers - and if you're unsure, just ask.

Reactions: 1 user
I am also working on writing updates only to the 3 schools I might attend over the one I already got into. There is one school that is my absolute first choice and would go there hands down-- is it ok to say in the update letter that it is my top choice or is that "desperate"? Is there a good way to phrase it?

If you're going to send a transcript, an unofficial one is fine. You'll be required to send a final, official transcript before you matriculate, so it's not necessary to send one now just for an update.

As far as what else to include, I suppose in some sense that depends on where you are in the process. However, stating your long-term goals/interests and how the school can allow you to achieve those, briefly bringing up points about the school you're particularly interested in, and any other updates in terms of your work, ECs, etc. would all be appropriate. That being said, keep the letter to a page. Be succinct and to the point. In all likelihood the letter will simply be added to your file, so people likely aren't going to take the time to read it carefully if it blabs on and on for multiple pages. In effect, just state your case and sell yourself and hope for the best. Perhaps most importantly, don't come across as desperate.

In terms of how to send in your update, many schools have specific procedures, but in general sending it to the admissions office email will suffice. I personally prefer attaching it as a PDF rather than including the letter in the email itself, but that's a pretty minor point and I don't imagine it would matter all that much. If you have access to a scanner and can digitize your transcript, you can also attach it to your message. Again, look to see what the school prefers - and if you're unsure, just ask.

Thank you for the advice! Whats the general consensus for what is "worth" sending an update letter for? I do not really have anything "significant" to add other than another semester of grades above my cumulative, continuation of some EC's and a minor award for tutoring.. What do you guys think, send or don't send updates?

Also, who do you address the letter to? Do you just say "Dear Admission Committee," or what?

Have u interviewed at any of the schools

Have u interviewed at any of the schools

No, I have one school (Downstate) that I interviewed at that I will definitely be sending an update letter with my new grades and what not.. so mostly I'm asking about pre II updates.

The list of schools who I am still waiting to here back from who I am considering sending an update to is:

Tufts
Buffalo
Stony Brook
Temple
SUNY Upstate (Currently Pre II hold)
Vermont
Oakland

Schools that I have heard do not accept pre II updates:
Drexel
Rush
Albany
Penn state (currently pre II hold)

Reactions: 1 user
I can't imagine any school valuing pre-II status updates. Most of the update letters I know happen post-interview. Nevertheless, all the best.

I can't imagine any school valuing pre-II status updates. Most of the update letters I know happen post-interview. Nevertheless, all the best.

Thank you, this is the information I was trying to get.. If that is the case, then I may hold off on sending anything to any of the schools before I get an II with them. But I'm sure Downstate would be receptive to an update of grades/ continued EC's...

I would agree with this. Unless you have something truly outstanding to talk about (eg, I received a Rhodes scholarship) I don't think pre-interview updates are worthwhile.