Do I have the right reasons? Going from pre-pharm to pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osiris

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre pharm at the moment, about half way through pre reqs, GPA at a 3.68 (it WILL go up).

Want to be a neurosurgeon so I'll have to go to med school (I'll have to go back to Canada for that), never was interested in being a doctor to be honest.

I wanted to finish school as soon as I could, I used to be one who worked to live, but I realized if you enjoy your work, then you can live to work.

I know it will be much tougher, but I only have one life to live and I have to reach the pinnacle of my potential. I'm already in the processes of changing everything about myself so that I can get closer to achieving this goal, I'm willing to make any sacrafices necessary.

I no longer care that I'll be in school till my late 30s, nothing else matters to me but reaching this goal.

Again, the reason I've suddenly discovered now that I want to do this, my priorities have changed, I'm not so eager to get out of school and start a life, what's far more important to me is what I achieve while I'm in school.

Med school will be about 3x tougher and so I'll have to make myself 3x better, I'm willing to do that.

So is this a pipe dream or do I have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a pre pharm at the moment, about half way through pre reqs, GPA at a 3.68 (it WILL go up).

Want to be a neurosurgeon so I'll have to go to med school (I'll have to go back to Canada for that), never was interested in being a doctor to be honest.

I wanted to finish school as soon as I could, I used to be one who worked to live, but I realized if you enjoy your work, then you can live to work.

I know it will be much tougher, but I only have one life to live and I have to reach the pinnacle of my potential. I'm already in the processes of changing everything about myself so that I can get closer to achieving this goal, I'm willing to make any sacrafices necessary.

I no longer care that I'll be in school till my late 30s, nothing else matters to me but reaching this goal.

Again, the reason I've suddenly discovered now that I want to do this, my priorities have changed, I'm not so eager to get out of school and start a life, what's far more important to me is what I achieve while I'm in school.

Med school will be about 3x tougher and so I'll have to make myself 3x better, I'm willing to do that.

So is this a pipe dream or do I have a chance?

Are you interested in medicine now? Since you did take the prepharm reqs, you could probably transition to pre med easily. However, even if you get into a med school, neurosurgery is difficult to match into. Will you be happy with a specialty besides neurosurgery? think hard about that. I guess you don't have to love medicine to be a good doctor, it could be treated as just any job. However, you'll probably like life a lot more if you liked your job.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like a bit of a manic pipe dream, yes.

lol I can see where it would be manic, at what point did it become a dream? Is 3.68 too low to recover from?

From what I've seen, average accepted GPAs for some med schools is about the same and sometimes even lower than pharmacy schools since med school has many more pre reqs.

Are you interested in medicine now? Since you did take the prepharm reqs, you could probably transition to pre med easily. However, even if you get into a med school, neurosurgery is difficult to match into. Will you be happy with a specialty besides neurosurgery? think hard about that. I guess you don't have to love medicine to be a good doctor, it could be treated as just any job. However, you'll probably like life a lot more if you liked your job.

I still don't want to be a physician or anything like but I'd be satisfied with alternatives.

I know residency will be tough as nails to get into and you have to be the best of the best to make it, I'm not at that level yet, but that's what I'm trying to be.

Also I think I'd find a job like this a lot more fulfilling than what I was thinking of before, pharmacy is a nice and secure job but it dosen't sound like it will be very satisfying

lol I can see where it would be manic, at what point did it become a dream? Is 3.68 too low to recover from?

Oh no you're perfectly competitive, I just meant that it sounds more like the kind of thing you blurt out after smoking the reefer than the product of weeks of serious thought.

Oh no you're perfectly competitive, I just meant that it sounds more like the kind of thing you blurt out after smoking the reefer than the product of weeks of serious thought.

well, it is the product of a couple days of thought, written in 2 mins, at 6:00AM

You've told us nothing other than you really really want to be a neurosurgeon. Sure, you're more than welcome to try for it. One step at a time though. You should probably get into med school first before setting your sights on neurosurgery

do you care if u dont get to be a neurosurgeon after you finish med school, cuz not everyone get into the field they want.

so what do most people who go to med school end up as?

I'm guessing surgery of any type is really hard to get into, so the second hardest thing next to neurosurgery would be cardiosurgery? Where would physician rank in terms of realitive difficulty.

Hate to through all these questions at you guys but I have done some research and wasn't able to find any clear answers. Any more help is much appreciated :thumbup:

You're a physician regardless of specialty. Why do you want to be a neurosurgeon? If you mention "cool" or something analagous in your explanation I won't take you seriously.

This doesn't seem thought out. Its sort of on a whim. You need to do more research and get clinical experience (volunteering/shadowing).

But, as of right now, no you don't appear to have the reasoning to go to medical school.