Do I have to be competitive in a hobby?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bored_Conscious

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current applicant for EY 2022. I'm a powerlifting/bodybuilding enthusiast and have been working out for around 5 years.

I don't compete in the sport but I am genuinely passionate about the hobby that I pursue. My narrative, volunteering experiences, and research
also are related to fitness and athletics.

This seems like a kind of silly question. I feel like the answer is no. However, the competitive atmosphere makes me feel sort of pressured that I have to be competitive in the sport that I participate in. I feel like adcoms would view someone who competes to be more passionate about their sport than someone like me who doesn't have the urge to compete.

Members don't see this ad.

Current applicant for EY 2022. I'm a powerlifting/bodybuilding enthusiast and have been working out for around 5 years.

I don't compete in the sport but I am genuinely passionate about the hobby that I pursue. My narrative, volunteering experiences, and research

This seems like a kind of silly question. I feel like the answer is no. However, the competitive atmosphere makes me feel sort of pressured that I have to be competitive in the sport that I participate in. I feel like adcoms would view someone who competes to be more passionate about their sport than someone like me who doesn't have the urge to compete.
Unless you’re an Olympic athlete or SEC football player, sports aren’t likely to make a difference in admissions decisions
But it is an interesting thought experiment. How many interviews would Raducanu get assuming she met basic requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you’re an Olympic athlete or SEC football player, sports aren’t likely to make a difference in admissions decisions
But it is an interesting thought experiment. How many interviews would Raducanu get assuming she met basic requirements.
That's a really good question. I'm curious as well. If she had good (enough) grades + MCAT is there a school that would reject her? Assuming she had all the basic ECs and pre-reqs as well.

I disagree, being a college athlete is strongly of value at my institution in admissions. It tells a lot about a person.

Reactions: 6 users
That's a really good question. I'm curious as well. If she had good (enough) grades + MCAT is there a school that would reject her? Assuming she had all the basic ECs and pre-reqs as well.
She would likely get in (almost) everywhere. I would put it along the lines of being bill gates’ daughter (Stanford MD student). It’s crazy how once somebody becomes a congressman/senator, his or her son or daughter automatically gains HYP acceptances plus choice of going to any med school/law school etc.

Except Emma’s of course would be meritorious. The latter, not so much

Last edited:
She would likely get in (almost) everywhere. I would put it along the lines of being bill gates’ daughter (Stanford MD student). It’s crazy how once somebody becomes a congressman/senator, his or her son or daughter automatically gains HYP acceptances plus choice of going to any med school/law school etc.

Except Emma’s of course would be meritorious. The latter, not so much
I could have sworn she goes to Icahn SOM in NY. But yeah, that feels very dirty doesn't it? You can call it networking but it's definitely more-so nepotism in some cases than networking.

I disagree, being a college athlete is strongly of value at my institution in admissions. It tells a lot about a person.
I probably should have rephrased. Any college sport is likely valued, but some experiences likely go further than others. Playing Oline for Alabama while keeping up with studies is likely to be more valuable than playing squash at Yale (nothing against squash. Some of my college friends played). I would argue that the former might warrant an acceptance at some places if scores are relatively in line.

It's this mentality that I am mostly worried about. If someone is a competitive athlete in college or outside of college, people will most likely say that it will "tell a lot about a person". You can be a D1 or a D3 athlete and people will still be impressed.

So, how about someone in my sport (powerlifting) who competes and does pretty well. Not nationally ranked or anything, but is still competing and doing okay. People would still look at this individual and be like "wow, you must be super dedicated". On the other hand, I could be working just as hard programming, dieting, etc. and I would be seen as a mere recreational lifter like the other hundred and thousands of other people/applicants. It isn't like I'm going to put on my application that I bench, deadlift, squat, "X" amount and I am a blank pound-for-pound lifter.

Maybe I should compete lol...

I probably should have rephrased. Any college sport is likely valued, but some experiences likely go further than others. Playing Oline for Alabama while keeping up with studies is likely to be more valuable than playing squash at Yale (nothing against squash. Some of my college friends played). I would argue that the former might warrant an acceptance at some places if scores are relatively in line.
I don't know how others feel, but I don't necessarily agree with this. If you are good enough to be competitive in a sport, you have to have the demonstrated traits that people find valuable in those who are dedicated to their sport.

This seems like a kind of silly question. I feel like the answer is no. However, the competitive atmosphere makes me feel sort of pressured that I have to be competitive in the sport that I participate in. I feel like adcoms would view someone who competes to be m8ore passionate about their sport than someone like me who doesn't have the urge to compete.
Answer is no. And stop overthinking.

Reactions: 3 users
I could have sworn she goes to Icahn SOM in NY. But yeah, that feels very dirty doesn't it? You can call it networking but it's definitely more-so nepotism in some cases than networking.
Pretty sure it’s Stanford. Wonder if it’s a coincidence that the CS department at Stanford is called the “Gates Computing Center”

I don't know how others feel, but I don't necessarily agree with this. If you are good enough to be competitive in a sport, you have to have the demonstrated traits that people find valuable in those who are dedicated to their sport.
Bottom line -- med schools like accomplished people. Organized sports is a way to demonstrate that. Team sports, even better. Dedication, teamwork, accomplishment, etc., etc., etc. Schools love that stuff, but sports are not the only way to get there. Organizing a successful food drive during a global pandemic works as well.

What was the question again? :) Oh yeah! No, you don't "have" to be "competitive" in anything in order to be a successful applicant. They do, however, look for indicia of excellence - academics, leadership, ECs, etc.

That's what the application is all about, but you don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar, or a world class power lifter, or whatever, to succeed. It's everything, and the narrative that you weave around it that seems to matter. Of course, sucking at everything, including school, doesn't help, but no, you don't have to be "competitive" in a sport or hobby to be successful. There are a lot of different ways to measure and define success for a med school application.

Reactions: 4 users
Bottom line -- med schools like accomplished people. Organized sports is a way to demonstrate that. Team sports, even better. Dedication, teamwork, accomplishment, etc., etc., etc. Schools love that stuff, but sports are not the only way to get there. Organizing a successful food drive during a global pandemic works as well.

What was the question again? :) Oh yeah! No, you don't "have" to be "competitive" in anything in order to be a successful applicant. They do, however, look for indicia of excellence - academics, leadership, ECs, etc.

That's what the application is all about, but you don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar, or a world class power lifter, or whatever, to succeed. It's everything, and the narrative that you weave around it that seems to matter. Of course, sucking at everything, including school, doesn't help, but no, you don't have to be "competitive" in a sport or hobby to be successful. There are a lot of different ways to measure and define success for a med school application.
Right right. I'm being overly neurotic right now. Waiting is not easy.

Appreciate everyone's response.

Reactions: 1 users
Right right. I'm being overly neurotic right now. Waiting is not easy.

Appreciate everyone's response.
If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone. Other than the tiny fraction of studs who are posting with a lot of IIs, the vast majority of applicants, most of whom either don't post or even visit the site, are waiting and worrying just like you, because FOMO is very real when seeing the early success of the very few at the very top. It helps to realize that there are over 22,000 MD spots, and not nearly as many superstars.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user

You don't have to compete to show you're passionate about something. If you invest a lot of time and effort, you are displaying passion, commitment and self-discipline -- all qualities valued in medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
Considering my hobbies are shoe polishing, car detailing, dry aging beef, building computers, and classic mens style, probably not. Everything else on the application should demonstrate strongly all the requisite personal and professional qualities for medical school.

I was always a little closed, on my own wave, I could not argue, and I often avoided conflicts, considering wood carving a waste of time. Therefore, having discovered creativity, and in particular carving, I got exactly what I was missing. Nobody here will tell you that "this is wrong." Here I have complete freedom of action, and I do not depend on anyone.

Last edited:

Just convey your passion for the field and how it helped you grow as a person and you should be good. They're not going to go "He works out but he is not Mr Olympia, NEXT!" Or "if he looks like he's not on tren, he's not getting in!" They want to know how each thing you put on your application contributes to who you are as a person.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users