spicypumpkin

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2018
Hi all, I’ve lurked for years but it’s my first time posting, so I apologize if the formatting is off or if this is the wrong place to post.

I graduated in 2019 with a 3.25 cGPA and a 3.01 sGPA. I have ADHD that was diagnosed only after I finished college and started a job, and it took a toll on my GPA. I’m scheduled to take the MCAT this Friday and, based on my FLs, it looks like I’m getting ~510-515.

Relevant info:
  • URM (Puerto Rican)​
  • Female​
  • Florida resident​
  • Microbiology and Philosophy double major at high ranked FL school​
ECs etc:​
  • 150+ hours shadowing—some in Spanish in Puerto Rico, some in English in FL
  • 70+ hours participating in clinical conference calls with doctors, their healthcare teams, and patients (part of my job, covid-era)
  • ~80 clinical volunteering and planning to do more once covid chills out
  • ~50 nonclinical, mostly helping with dinner at a homeless shelter while in undergrad, going to start contactless food distribution volunteering soon. I know this is a weak spot and I’m currently looking for more opportunities since I’ll soon be done with the MCAT, and hopefully will be able to do even more once covid chills out
  • 1000s of hours of research—2 years in undergrad (poster); full time public health lab job for the past year (started out sequencing pathogenic bacteria, then COVID testing and sequencing); promoted to fellow at the same lab and will be presenting at 2 conferences/might get a publication out of it
  • Work: (see above) full time public health lab, prestigious name-brand fellowship
  • Was in a few different clubs in undergrad (mostly philosophy-related)
  • Current member of local microbio society
  • Precinct committeeperson (local gov)

I’ve spoken to a couple advisors and they recommended that I do an SMP. However, this is obviously a huge financial commitment and risk. If I did ~30 (or more?) credits of upper level science classes at my local 4-year university and maintained around a 4.0, could this help to redeem my GPA?

I’d rather not do an SMP because of the financial strain, having to relocate, etc., but if it’s what I need to do to get into medical school, I’ll do it. Either way, I’m confident that I can do well now that I’ve been properly diagnosed and learned how to deal with this condition.

Some questions:

Should I do an SMP or a post bacc? Would an SMP pose any advantage over a DIY post bacc?

Is my projected MCAT score where it should be, given my GPA, or should I push it back until I can score higher (515+)?

What should my general timeline be? Would my MCAT expiring be a concern if I applied next summer?

I guess I’d just really like some general guidance. There’s so many different paths I could take and I don’t know which one is best. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I figured that was the case but didn’t hurt to ask. Would doing well in a ~1 year DIY post bacc and getting a 510-515 MCAT suffice, or is an SMP the way to go?
A DIY postbac can do the job.

I personally prefer recommending the special master's program route as though even though they are more high-risk, there are more high-reward. They are, in essence, the backdoor into medical school

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.