1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

do i have to go to a CA school to have a bigger chance of getting into CA residency?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by totoro723, Dec 16, 2005.

1. totoro723

totoro723 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I got into both TUCOM in CA and NV and I was just wondering if I have to go to a CA school to have a higher chance of getting into a CA residency. THanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

I think the bigger thing is what state you are a resident of, rather than what state you go to school in.

4. totoro723

totoro723 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

oh really. thanks!

5. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

Yeah, but also, rotating at places you may apply for residencies at gives you a better chance too. Therefore, going to CA schools leads to rotating at CA programs which leads to being known at those programs when it comes time to apply.

6. totoro723

totoro723 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

and like you know how touro-nv is very new compare to touro-CA is it bad to go to a newer school? I really would like to go to the one in nv because I didn't really like the school in CA.

7. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

I'm at a new school. You need to find out the specifics of that school. Try to get HONEST opinions from students there, preferably those in their second year who are probably starting to get a feel for how the clinical years are going to operate. Unfortunately, on SDN, you will mostly get glowing reviews because people like advertising/supporting their school. Regardless, wherever you go, if you work hard and succeed, the school being new shouldn't shut any doors for you as far as this DO school vs. that one.