Do I have to mention osteopathic medicine in my personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was originally going to apply to both MD and DO schools, and my personal statement only talked about why I want to be a doctor, not an osteopathic doctor. Should I edit my personal statement to include things about osteopathic medicine, or is it fine to talk about why you want to be a doctor in general? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

i thought it's an "interchangeable" term in PS

i thought it's an "interchangeable" term in PS
I know they do very similar things, I'm just not sure if they want you to specifically mention osteopathic medicine in their PS

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not have to. There are plenty more places to address osteopathic medicine in secondaries and on interview day. Your personal statement should be why you want to be a doctor - if you have a strong preference towards being a DO, you can certainly add that to your personal statement if you want to.

Reactions: 1 user
You should try to address "why DO?" somewhere in your application materials if not the PS. Schools want to think you're a good fit for their programs and showing an interest in the ~~distinct philosophy~~ of osteopathic medicine is a part of that.

I didn’t, and I did just fine.

Both of my physician LORs were from DOs, though. Wasn’t intentional; they were just the two physicians I got along with the best.

As long as your PS aligns with what will fit DO schools, you're good to submit the same one. If not, I'd probably modify it.

You don't have to but why wouldn't you if you can fit it in your statement. Let them know you understand the difference and why you would be a great fit.

You don't have to but why wouldn't you if you can fit it in your statement. Let them know you understand the difference and why you would be a great fit.
Every school has a secondary that asks this exact question and of course it won't hurt to put it in your personal statement, but I'd rather save that for a focused secondary to prevent the risk of being repetitive.

Reactions: 1 user