Do I have to report if I withdraw a class with a W

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immanuel11421

immanuel11421
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am taking my last post-bac prereq which is Physics 2.

I am thinking of dropping it or withdraw it later since I am trying to focus on mcat as I am taking it in Aug.

THIS SCHOOL WHERE I AM TAKING THE PHYSICS 2 CLASS FROM IS NOT THE SAME SCHOOL WHERE I HAD DONE MY OTHER CLASSES. SO, I AM ONLY TAKING ONE CLASS HERE AS A NON-MATRICULATED STUDENT.

I assume that if I drop the class with a partial refund, it will have no record and I don't have to mention it in my application.
But if I want to give it a try and withdraw later with a 'W', do I have to report it and explain??? Since I am not even requesting transcript from this school if I withdraw as this is the only class I have ever taken.
Is it a serious matter if I don't report this? How bad a 'W' will look?

Members don't see this ad.

But if I want to give it a try and withdraw later with a 'W', do I have to report it and explain??? Since I am not even requesting transcript from this school if I withdraw as this is the only class I have ever taken.
It won't look nearly as bad as them finding out that you chose to not report a class (if they find out, which is definitely a possibility).
I don't think a single W will look bad if you have a good explanation for it, but it's best if you avoided it.
BTW, you need physics 2 for the mcat.

A single W won't look very bad, but you need to report it like any other grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

I am taking my last post-bac prereq which is Physics 2.

I am thinking of dropping it or withdraw it later since I am trying to focus on mcat as I am taking it in Aug.

THIS SCHOOL WHERE I AM TAKING THE PHYSICS 2 CLASS FROM IS NOT THE SAME SCHOOL WHERE I HAD DONE MY OTHER CLASSES. SO, I AM ONLY TAKING ONE CLASS HERE AS A NON-MATRICULATED STUDENT.

I assume that if I drop the class with a partial refund, it will have no record and I don't have to mention it in my application.

a W won't look as bad as having the school find out that you lied to them when you told them that you never attended the school. There's a website that actually tells them about the schools you attended. Do not screw with the system, because I promise you that it will come back and bite you in the ass when you least expect it.

Also, I had over 5 W's, and I was fine. So stop trying to find a way around the system. Keep it kosher. Good luck!

But if I drop it within the partial refund time-frame, that's like having no record which I don't ahve to report, right?

But if I drop it within the partial refund time-frame, that's like having no record which I don't ahve to report, right?

I just answered this question in your other thread (regarding physics 2 for the MCAT), and yes, if there is no record on your transcript then you don't report the course.

Be careful though--some schools may give you a W even if you're within the partial refund time-frame. In a lot of cases, for summer sessions, the time frame to avoid receiving a W can be as little as one day (so if you drop the second day of the course, you get a W). So just make sure to make sure to drop by the "last day to drop without a W" deadline.

I just answered this question in your other thread (regarding physics 2 for the MCAT), and yes, if there is no record on your transcript then you don't report the course.

Be careful though--some schools may give you a W even if you're within the partial refund time-frame. In a lot of cases, for summer sessions, the time frame to avoid receiving a W can be as little as one day (so if you drop the second day of the course, you get a W). So just make sure to make sure to drop by the "last day to drop without a W" deadline.
I agree with that, make sure there will be no record of it. I was in a class last summer and dropped after the first day. According to the school website I dropped it in time for there to be no record of a grade, but when I was entering my courses to AMCAS this year I realized there was a W. WTF :mad:, I thought, then I looked at the website again and realized that if you cancel your summer enrollment after the first day then you get a W for all your classes. That was my only class, so by dropping it it counted as cancelling my enrollment. It doesn't make sense to me that if I stayed in another class there would be no W, but since it was my only class there is a W. But I guess rules are rules and I should have looked into it.

Just look at your transcript. If it's there, report it.

Don't worry about it, though. I have 3 W's myself.