do i have to send thank you letter to interviewer or just admission office?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skazyjae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just had an interview. Im wondering if people generally send their thank you letter to admission office email or interviewer's email?

Members don't see this ad.

I sent a thank you letter via email to the interviewer(s) as well as the director of admissions.

You can do both but it should really be because you need to. It won't affect your admission status. If you think the letter will improve your chances of acceptance then forget it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really doesn't make a difference whether you send a thank you letter, or not. It's a nice thing to do, but it won't make or break your acceptances. This cycle, I did not send thank you notes/emails and ended up getting acceptances.

You don't have to but I sent one to all the schools I interviewed at. I felt that these individuals took time out of their day to meet with us so taking 2 minutes to send a nice note/e-mail is a nice gesture. It might not affect if you get in but it is a good habit to get into plus I'm sure it'll make the individual smile upon reading your note! I sent mine only to the interviewer b/c often times they were professors or students who'd taken time to meet with me. Plus it is their evaluation of you that is sent back to the committee so it's a good idea to leave yourself in a good light.

If you want to send one out of genuine gratitude, send it to the director of admissions and make sure to thank the entire committee/staff. If you only want to send one to improve your chances, don't bother.

They will label you as an ass kisser, laugh, and then toss it into the trash can.

They will label you as an ass kisser, laugh, and then toss it into the trash can.

What? Certainly not.

OP, it definitely isn't required. Though it might not help, it certainly can't hurt. I'd just send e-mails--you could send one to the admissions office and the interviewers if you'd like.

If you send one to the admissions office as a whole, I would also use it as an opportunity to include any pertinent updates to your file.

It's a nice gesture to send one to each interviewer, as well as to the general dental admissions office, being as they took time to meet with you. Personally, I'd recommend sending an email, rather than a letter, but that's entirely personal opinion. If you're worried about whether or not it'll affect your getting in, no worries. By the time your interview is over, they've generally made a decision on you already, so it won't influence that one way or another.

I sent hand written thank yous to my interviewer and the admissions office. They had a lunch and took the time to consider you. Emails are fine, but the art of a hand written letter is being lost and will definitely help you stand out. Besides, at other interviews for jobs, most successful candidates send hand written thank yous. You won't be an "ass-kisser" I promise.

Reactions: 1 user
I sent hand written thank yous to my interviewer and the admissions office. They had a lunch and took the time to consider you. Emails are fine, but the art of a hand written letter is being lost and will definitely help you stand out. Besides, at other interviews for jobs, most successful candidates send hand written thank yous. You won't be an "ass-kisser" I promise.

Totally agree with you michdent. I sent a hand-written letter to pretty much every business card I got on my interview day. Some weren't necessary, but i think it is more about respect than anything. None of us are entitled to our interview invites, and we should be thankful for them

Reactions: 1 user