Do I have to start my college career over to become doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating in a year with a BS in Computer Engineering and expect to have a 2.5 GPA. I definitely plan on completing the degree but I'm looking for a career change after. Should I pursue another BS in say.. Biology and try to maintain a 3.5+? Or could I take the prereq science courses now and pray I get accepted into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

You might consider a formal post-bac premed program. There used to be a list of such programs on the AAMC web site, but it appears to have been deleted. Anyway, you'll probably want to take more than the minimum required courses -- to boost your GPA and to show that you have what it takes to handle advanced undergrad science courses -- but I think that getting another undergraduate degree might be a bit much.

Also, you should look for opportunities to do clinically oriented volunteer work and biomedical research. Your computer background may help you get your foot in the door at, say, a molecular biology lab. Molecular biologists need computer experts for bioinformatics work. Bioinformatics is a fascinating field!

Complete the degree, then take the pre-reqs post-bac. Make sure you do really well in them (at least 3.5+). Alternatively, you could delay graduation and take the pre-reqs as an undergrad. Either way it will take you a couple of years to do them, just make sure you shine GPA-wise in those years! Also, make damn sure you do well on the MCAT. Obtaining a second degree isn't necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is, even if I take the prereq pre-med courses, my GPA won't improve much. Probably .1 if I get straight A's through all of them.

Could you elaborate on the "pre-reqs post-bac"? I'm assuming it's taking random classes with no major after I have completed my degree?

You're right, your gpa won't improve that much...but you'll show adcomm's that you can handle the courseload and do well...also, if you do well, they like upward trends...so work your ass off if you do a postbacc. Classes you should take (you're right, you get no degree...some schools (ie Columbia), give you certificates (bs though))
General Chem (1yr) w/lab
Organic Chem (1 yr)w/lab
General Bio (1yr) w/lab
Physics (1yr) w/lab
Math (usually one year or one semester, recheck this)
English (1year, if you don't already have it)
I think that's it...go to the aamc website and type in postbacc and it'll give you the website for postbacc programs in different states...good luck :)

Thanks for the info simseema.

Chson, here is the exact link to post bac programs: <a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/considering/postbac.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aamc.org/students/considering/postbac.htm</a> . I hope this is helpful.

I'm in the same situations as you. However, I've come from a non-science background. I'm considering transfering to Oregon University so I can enter a post bac program. The only problem is financing it. If anyone has some good sugestions on how to finance outstate tution, I'd appreciate.