do i have to take psychology and sociology before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed12324

Reaction score
i know some med schools recommend courses such as sociology, psychology, genetics. Would it hurt my chances if I did not take a recommended course?

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all. I would take these courses because they're covered on the MCAT (genetics less so) and would benefit you in that way. However, no school (to my knowledge) would hold it against you if you didn't take one of those courses.

Genetics is also a good course to take just because it would benefit you for medical school.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Only for the MCAT. Out of these 3, psych would probably be the most important to have some background in- sociology can be learned using the KA docs, you don't need a whole course on it IMO. Genetics should also be covered by General Biology but it doesn't hurt to have extra if you have the time. I technically had none of these classes on my app and I did just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like @GlowCloud said, make sure you take some type of social science class, but this often includes classes like history, econ, etc.. I took sociology, but didn't take genetics nor psychology. You can learn enough psych and soc from the KA docs for the MCAT. I got a 130 in that section just from studying the 86 page doc.