Do I have to update AMCAS about this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narla_hotep

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I submitted my primary app, I indicated that I would continue working in the research lab (that I've been in for 3 years already) for 1 more year until I graduate, and put in my hours accordingly. But I just found out my postdoc mentor in the lab got a new job and is suddenly leaving, and I don't want to continue in the lab without her because I don't have the best relationship with the PI... My postdoc mentor and I agreed that if I have to start a new project, then I might as well move to an entirely different lab. So it looks like I'm not doing the last year in this lab like I planned.

Do I need to update AMCAS about this? And what is the best way to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

When I submitted my primary app, I indicated that I would continue working in the research lab (that I've been in for 3 years already) for 1 more year until I graduate, and put in my hours accordingly.

Are you saying you put in 3 years worth of research hours or 4? If 3, don't worry about it. If 4, you shouldn't have done it and it's probably a good idea to update before anyone reaches out to your PI.

I put in 4 years of hours, but... Why is this a bad thing to do? The application asks for prospective hours, including future hours... And when I submitted, I was absolutely sure I would continue in the lab another year

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I wasn't aware the app asks for prospective hours. I guess it's okay then?

One year is enough for the lab to loose funding and shut down.

@sp4k it would be wise to avoid giving advice on topics you don't actually know about....

OP - I would probably just not do anything re: AMCAS at this point. You can mention what you are doing instead of that lab on your secondaries.