Do I hold an apartment where I'm waitlisted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subtle1epiphany

Junior Faculty
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on the waitlist at EVMS (top 1/3rd) and I'm really starting to wonder if I should be looking for an apartment in the area. I have a place reserved in Michigan but should I get the call it would be much easier if I had something held in Virginia, even if it means losing a deposit wherever I end up.
Is this a good idea? I would feel a little bad about dropping one of the places, but they would keep my deposit. This would make things so much easier if I had to change my plans quickly, even mid-trip across the country. Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

subtle1epiphany said:
I'm currently on the waitlist at EVMS (top 1/3rd) and I'm really starting to wonder if I should be looking for an apartment in the area. I have a place reserved in Michigan but should I get the call it would be much easier if I had something held in Virginia, even if it means losing a deposit wherever I end up.
Is this a good idea? I would feel a little bad about dropping one of the places, but they would keep my deposit. This would make things so much easier if I had to change my plans quickly, even mid-trip across the country. Any help is appreciated.

Put down the deposit if it's for a nice place. It's worth it. How much will it be? $200 at most? Call it insurance and you'll have piece of mind. That can often be worth more than $200.

i thought deposit was normally equal to 1 months rent...

Yeah, if you find a place close by, maybe you should put a deposit down. mplee79 decided to move here from San Diego 4 weeks before school started (to my surprise cuz I didn't know he'd applied to their SMP program) and all he found was a room in a house (beautiful though) 4 miles away. However, he was later able to move into another person's home 1 miles away. There are a lot of nice bedrooms for rent in other people's homes. I don't remember if someone answered your "where to live" question, but the answer is Ghent. Anywhere in Ghent is good. West Ghent is near shops and restaurants if you like that. Downtown/Historic Ghent is really pretty. =) Good luck!