Do I mention this in the PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CheerfulEnergy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question as I'm rounding out my AMCAS application (hopefully I can hit submit soon!!): I received a D in organic chemistry. Now, I've heard two ways to tackle this -- some say that it needs to be discussed in the PS, others say don't draw attention to it, the adcomms will see it and ask about it anyway. I'm leaning toward the don't mention it in the PS...I don't have an extraordinary circumstance that would explain it, it's just me not making a smart decision, thinking I could figure it all out myself, and then not going for help until it was too late. I'm taking Biochem and retaking orgo I; should I write some sort of explanation into my PS?

Members don't see this ad.

CheerfulEnergy said:
Question as I'm rounding out my AMCAS application (hopefully I can hit submit soon!!): I received a D in organic chemistry. Now, I've heard two ways to tackle this -- some say that it needs to be discussed in the PS, others say don't draw attention to it, the adcomms will see it and ask about it anyway. I'm leaning toward the don't mention it in the PS...I don't have an extraordinary circumstance that would explain it, it's just me not making a smart decision, thinking I could figure it all out myself, and then not going for help until it was too late. I'm taking Biochem and retaking orgo I; should I write some sort of explanation into my PS?

I'm going to go with "No." I would put this in the "Additional Comments?" section on secondaries. Non-screener schools won't even look at your app without your secondary anyway. I don't know if screener schools will knock you out because of that D, though. Just a thought.

I would say mention it, but don't belabor the point. You mentioned that you learned something from the experience. Focus on that end of it and how it has/is made/making you a better student and thusly better prepared for the rigors of medical school.

Just don't belabor the point. EVERYONE has problems or difficulty at some point in their academic careers. The real testament is how you respond to that adversity. Do you learn fro mit or allow it to derail you on your road to your goals? Besides if your BS section MCAT score is in the double digits, the reviewers will look at it as an anomaly anyway. Just be sure to get an "A" in it this time around.

Dedicate no more than a few sentences to it and keep it moving.

CheerfulEnergy said:

Only mention it if you want to get rejected.