Do I Need a Masters if I have a 3.5 UG GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilmasie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I applied to medical school (DO) with a cgpa of 3.62 and sgpa of 3.45. I then took my MCAT with no strong preparation (yes, I made a mistake) and scored a 494. I got my mcat score late (september) because I thought delaying to August would help increase my score, but it clearly didn't. I am in a rut and need some sort of structure as to how I should tackle this coming cycle.

I know 100% I need to retake my MCAT. However, I am nowhere near prepared after I recently graduated from UG. I sometimes feel taking a year off will make me lose any structure I previously had and was considering joining a masters program at LUCOM or LECOM to atleast guarantee me an interview as long as I keep a 3.0 and have my MCAT up. My question is, is a Masters unnecessary for me? A lot of people are telling me not to waste the money and just work and study for my MCAT and apply when I feel confident in my MCAT score.
That seems like a good idea, except the fact that I often rely on school for structure and want my brain to actively feel like I'm doing something besides working like a drone and coming back to the weekend burnt out and have no brain power to focus on my MCAT. I have an older sibling who took 2 years off and completely gave up on medical school. And having that example is causing me to panic a lot. Any strategic suggestions are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I applied to medical school (DO) with a cgpa of 3.62 and sgpa of 3.45. I then took my MCAT with no strong preparation (yes, I made a mistake) and scored a 494. I got my mcat score late (september) because I thought delaying to August would help increase my score, but it clearly didn't. I am in a rut and need some sort of structure as to how I should tackle this coming cycle.

I know 100% I need to retake my MCAT. However, I am nowhere near prepared after I recently graduated from UG. I sometimes feel taking a year off will make me lose any structure I previously had and was considering joining a masters program at LUCOM or LECOM to atleast guarantee me an interview as long as I keep a 3.0 and have my MCAT up. My question is, is a Masters unnecessary for me? A lot of people are telling me not to waste the money and just work and study for my MCAT and apply when I feel confident in my MCAT score.
That seems like a good idea, except the fact that I often rely on school for structure and want my brain to actively feel like I'm doing something besides working like a drone and coming back to the weekend burnt out and have no brain power to focus on my MCAT. I have an older sibling who took 2 years off and completely gave up on medical school. And having that example is causing me to panic a lot. Any strategic suggestions are appreciated.
Your GPA is fine. If you take a masters, especially a SMP and don't do well it can further hamper your chances. Focus on getting the best score on the MCAT that you can

Reactions: 1 user

Focus on the mcat. That's the best advice. Good luck!

Just retake the mCAT, but only when you're 100% ready. Don't make any more poor choices.

Reactions: 1 user