Do I Need a Wide Range of Extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a question about work/extracurricular activities. Here's what I have so far:

- EMT-B for 911 ambulance service for past 3 years
- Volunteer firefighter/first responder for past 4 years
- "ER ambassador" at St. Louis University Hospital (I would consider this non clinical volunteer work)
- Shadowing (still working on it)
- Thinking about listing some multi-day EMS courses

I would consider myself a semi-nontraditional student; I'm not coming back to school after a long time off, however my time at undergrad has not followed the normal course. I've worked in fire and EMS throughout undergrad, and most all of my extracurriculars involve fire/ems/ER. Will not having a very "diverse" range of extracurriculars raise a concern?

*note, I'm planning to apply for 2021-2022 cycle

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No, in this case your long commitment to a few activities can stand out. Quality >> quantity as long as you’re checking all the boxes (which it seems you are doing). I’m sure you will have lots to discuss in your application essays and interviews on these activities, so you should be good to go! Maybe add a few hobbies as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I've got a question about work/extracurricular activities. Here's what I have so far:

- EMT-B for 911 ambulance service for past 3 years
- Volunteer firefighter/first responder for past 4 years
- "ER ambassador" at St. Louis University Hospital (I would consider this non clinical volunteer work)
- Shadowing (still working on it)
- Thinking about listing some multi-day EMS courses

I would consider myself a semi-nontraditional student; I'm not coming back to school after a long time off, however my time at undergrad has not followed the normal course. I've worked in fire and EMS throughout undergrad, and most all of my extracurriculars involve fire/ems/ER. Will not having a very "diverse" range of extracurriculars raise a concern?

*note, I'm planning to apply for 2021-2022 cycle

Thanks!
Add Hobbies and/or Artistic endeavors. Carve out any leadership roles those activities led to. No need to list multi-day EMS courses; if you got college or vocational school credit, they should be on your transcript. Use your connections as an EMT to get in some Physician Shadowing.

Reactions: 1 users