• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Do I need an MD-only recommendation letter?

Local-Chef

Mar 2, 2020
  1. Medical Student
    I noticed that many of my friends/peers have letters from MDs they shadowed or knew. My lab PI is an MD/PhD and wrote me a recommendation, but he has had no time with me in the clinic so his recommendation is entirely research-focused. Likewise, all my other recommendations are from PhDs in sciences or humanities.

Should I reach out to an MD I shadowed for a LOR? I'm worried that my application is at a disadvantage because it doesn't specifically say anything clinical-related. Only research/didactic related.

Blazers_33

2+ Year Member
    Mar 24, 2018
    1. Pre-Medical
      not necessary, unless the school requires a physician letter, which I think very few MD schools do. I don't think I applied to a single one that required a physician letter. just focus on meeting the school requirements with letter writers that will give you solid recommendations, if the MD you shadowed would write a really good one then go for it

lots of DO schools require a physician letter, whether MD or DO

Reactions: 1 users
      About the Ads

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
      Verified Expert
      15+ Year Member
      Sep 4, 2006
      The Other Side of the Portal
      1. Attending Physician
        Should I reach out to an MD I shadowed for a LOR?
        MD schools historically requiring a clinical or physician shadowing letter:
        USUHS, Seton Hall, AZx2, RFU, Utah. UCDavis recommends one.

Otherwise, only if your school committee letter requires one.

Reactions: 1 users

Local-Chef

Mar 2, 2020
        1. Medical Student
          MD schools historically requiring a clinical or physician shadowing letter:
          USUHS, Seton Hall, AZx2, RFU, Utah. UCDavis recommends one.

Otherwise, only if your school committee letter requires one.
          Gotcha- Do you think it would help my application to have that MD letter behind me though? Or do you think it wouldn't make a difference

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
          Verified Expert
          15+ Year Member
          Sep 4, 2006
          The Other Side of the Portal
          1. Attending Physician
            Gotcha- Do you think it would help my application to have that MD letter behind me though? Or do you think it wouldn't make a difference
            No, it won't affect your candidacy. What are they going to say about you? Came on time. Dressed neatly. Stood quietly. Asked a good question or three at an appropriate time.

Reactions: 4 users
            About the Ads
            This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.