Do I need an SMP? Can I get into one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bergamasque

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have cGPA of 3.08, sGPA is about the same (slightly higher). I have struggled with a wide array of mental disorders, including addiction, until I decided to go to college. I continue struggling, but learning, also an underrepresented minority (Hispanic) with low economic status.

-

Should I take SMP during my gap year? I am considering Drexel (DPSM), NYMC (IBMS), Georgetown (SMP), Tulane (ACP), Tufts (SMP).

I firmly believe that I need one given that I have failed two classes, and have about 12 Withdrawal's strewn around (Mostly coming from Fresh/Soph and 1st sem Senior Medical Withdrawal).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have cGPA of 3.08, sGPA is about the same (slightly higher). I have struggled with a wide array of mental disorders, including addiction, until I decided to go to college. I continue struggling, but learning, also an underrepresented minority (Hispanic) with low economic status.

Fresh: 2.1 cGPA
Soph : 2.9 cGPA
Junior: 3.1 cGPA
Senior: 3.54 cGPA (Fall sem I medically withdrew due to crisis)
Year 5: 3.92 cGPA

MCAT: 515

Should I take SMP during my gap year? I am considering Drexel (DPSM), NYMC (IBMS), Georgetown (SMP), Tulane (ACP), Tufts (SMP).

I firmly believe that I need one given that I have failed two classes, and have about 12 Withdrawal's strewn around (Mostly coming from Fresh/Soph and 1st sem Junior Medical Withdrawal).
SMP looks like a good idea. However given low SES and URM status along with upwards GPA trend and a 515 MCAT you might get some MD interviews if you applied (assuming you have all the ECs and other application activities done). That being said, applying after a 4.0 SMP would extremely bolster your application. You should look into applying now while applications are still open. Either that or do a DIY post-bac with upper level science classes would probably be alright too and save you some money.

Hello,

Fresh: 2.1 cGPA
Soph : 2.9 cGPA
Junior: 3.1 cGPA
Senior: 3.54 cGPA (Fall sem I medically withdrew due to crisis)
Year 5: 3.92 cGPA

MCAT: 515

I firmly believe that I need one given that I have failed two classes, and have about 12 Withdrawal's strewn around (Mostly coming from Fresh/Soph and 1st sem Junior Medical Withdrawal).
Yes, and yes. Your SR year is not enough data points for the new you.

Pick the SMP that has the least tuition, the shortest calendar, and the best sort of linkage. I've interviewed people from all five programs; I consider them the same.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Pick the SMP that has the least tuition, the shortest calendar, and the best sort of linkage. I've interviewed people from all five programs; I consider them the same.
Could I apply to the SMP in the same time frame as Medical Schools? OR would I need to apply to Medical School when my SMP ends, and therefore have a gap year in between Matriculation and the end of my SMP?

Last edited:
Could I apply to the SMP in the same time frame as Medical Schools? OR would I need to apply to Medical School when my SMP ends, and therefore have a gap year in between Matriculation and the end of my SMP?
Ace the SMP and then apply. Med schools aren't going anywhere

Reactions: 1 user

Hi I am sorry for reviving this old thread, but I wanted to know if a DIY-Post Bacc would be sufficient? I would be applying to SMP this february and starting the next year (one gap-year) and then applying after finishing which is a total of two gap years and an SMP year (3 total years). If I were to do a DIY-Post Bacc, I could take just naother year where I would do research, volunteer, and apply this upcoming year (with 2 presumably successful years)

Hi I am sorry for reviving this old thread, but I wanted to know if a DIY-Post Bacc would be sufficient? I would be applying to SMP this february and starting the next year (one gap-year) and then applying after finishing which is a total of two gap years and an SMP year (3 total years). If I were to do a DIY-Post Bacc, I could take just naother year where I would do research, volunteer, and apply this upcoming year (with 2 presumably successful years)
A DIY post-bac is perfectly fine

Reactions: 1 user