Do I need any ECs beside shadowing, hospital volunteering, and lab research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med_Leviathan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really paranoid about my ECs. Is ~300 hrs of volunteering in a hospital, 7 semesters of physiology research (+1 summer) and shadowing four physicians good enough for ECs? I don't think I can do anything non-medically related, like theatre, music, or w/e. I really want to go to UMass, if that at all matters.

Members don't see this ad.

You're doing great. :thumbup:

Med_Leviathan said:
I'm really paranoid about my ECs. Is ~300 hrs of volunteering in a hospital, 7 semesters of physiology research (+1 summer) and shadowing four physicians good enough for ECs? I don't think I can do anything non-medically related, like theatre, music, or w/e. I really want to go to UMass, if that at all matters.

That's kind of the wrong way to look at it... But if you ask me you're set. Maybe something showing leadership would be nice... Also something to show that you have a life outside of medicine... Maybe tutoring children or something, I don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah, I really want to do tutoring and I think it would actually be fun for me. Leadership is going to be a big problem, though...

I assume you have an LOR from a professor in one of the sciences? If not, pick up at least one of those. My pre-med program required three.

Med_Leviathan said:

I don't understand -- why can't you do anything non-medically related?

lookin' good! :)