Do I need intro to psychology course for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maraj34

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already taken anthropology and an interdisciplinary courses in sociology. Do I need to take an intro to psychology course for the MCAT or can I just self study with the Kaplan book?

Members don't see this ad.

I have already taken anthropology and an interdisciplinary courses in sociology. Do I need to take an intro to psychology course for the MCAT or can I just self study with the Kaplan book?

You can definitely self study with Kaplan and definitely with the KA 100 page document.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I definitely think it's doable :] I just used the 300 page KA document and the 2015 ExamKrackers and did fairly well. Didn't take psych in college and been out of college for 3 years.

That said, it might help but it's definitely not a requirement (unless it's a prereq for any of the schools you want to apply to)

You can self-study but you are taking an exam that will set the course of the rest of your life. You should take the prereq AND self-study AND take a prep course. You should be as possibly best prepared for this exam as you can be. And remember, all MCAT scores stay with you forever

This is also true haha.

On the spectrum, you'll find people that have done all sorts of things. Pay less attention to what others have done and think more about what you think you'll need. (there are a lot of "free MCAT tests" you can use to gauge what you'll think you'll need). If you have the opportunity to take the class while you're in college and have no other BURNING passions - do it. if you need a prep course and can afford it - do it.

I personally took a prep course back when I was in school and thought it was helpful (mind you it was for the old MCAT). I didn't for the new MCAT and did fine. Don't take any unnecessary risks but at the same time... don't go overboard with the prep

You can self-study but you are taking an exam that will set the course of the rest of your life. You should take the prereq AND self-study AND take a prep course. You should be as possibly best prepared for this exam as you can be. And remember, all MCAT scores stay with you forever

No pressure

I got a 131 took the course 4 years or so before. Taking it fresh definitely would have helped used KD psych audios the 100-300 page guides and kaplan books. UWorld questions and amcas section banks also critical in my view.

I am a practicing behavioral scientist, my qualifying exams were in psych, and years ago I wrote a dissertation in clinical health psy. I even taught psy related classes before in both undergrad and grad levels. But guess what, I only got 128 in PS. What I want to say is, take the Intro Psy class to know the field of PSY. We design the Intro Psy class to introduce students to the fields of psy - it is an overview/preview of the work we do on our daily basis. Yes, it may help you do well in MCAT, but may not necessary so. But no matter what, it is always fun to know what other people are doing, right? Good luck!

132 here. I took psychology 6 years ago and all I remember is Freud being a freak.
86 page document on reddit is gold.

Reactions: 1 users
132 here. I took psychology 6 years ago and all I remember is Freud being a freak.
86 page document on reddit is gold.
A 132? That is incredible! You used reddit to study or the psychology section?

My psychology course maybe had 5% of what was expected for the MCAT.

A 132? That is incredible! You used reddit to study or the psychology section?
Yup! That’s what everyone uses on there and plenty of people are scoring 130+. It’s a compilation of the khan academy videos for psych/Soc. I practiced with uworld and did all the aamc questions after content which brought my practice scores from 126 to 132 on the real deal. I also used an anki set of someone (premed95 or something) who made flashcards out of the khan academy psych/Soc document. I would do all of these things because p/s is the easiest score to improve. Best of luck :)

Reactions: 1 user