Do I need more shadowing/clinical experience/volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLeadSeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is how my shadowing/clinical/volunteering experience is currently looking like:

-14 hours shadowing DO endocrinologist (wrote me a LOR)
-18 hours shadowing DO family practitioner (wrote me a LOR)
-3 hours shadowing DO family practitioner (wrote me a LOR)
-5 hours shadowing DO cardiologist
-9 hours shadowing MD's in UMaryland shock trauma center

-35o hours as a medical scribe in the emergency room

-1 week trip to Atlanta, Georgia to volunteer at a homeless shelter
-1 week trip to Joplin, Missouri to help rebuild houses after a tornado hit

-80 hours of community service through my fraternity over past 4 years

That's everything I have so far in terms of shadowing/clinical/volunteer, and I will be applying to DO schools next cycle. As far as EC's/leadership I think mine are average to slightly above average. SGA senator, student ambassador, presidential ambassador, resident assistant, honors college orientation leader, actor/student model for videos/advertisements, etc. People also like to ask stats here on every post, so I am sitting on a 3.4cGPA/3.1sGPA, taking MCAT April 2017.

In terms of shadowing/clinical/volunteering, any advice on what to add, or is that enough?

Members don't see this ad.

It all looks good, but if I am being honest it looks like you're a merit chaser. I am not saying you ARE, but you seem to dabble in a little bit of everything and it looks like you did it to get it on paper that you did. That is just he devils advocate coming out in me.

Your GPAs will definitely hurt you, you NEED a good MCAT score.

It all looks good, but if I am being honest it looks like you're a merit chaser. I am not saying you ARE, but you seem to dabble in a little bit of everything and it looks like you did it to get it on paper that you did. That is just he devils advocate coming out in me.

Your GPAs will definitely hurt you, you NEED a good MCAT score.

Thanks for the reply! I understand you're viewpoint, and I agree I dabbled in a lot. It was more out of curiosity and taking on a lot at once, when I agree that it may have been better to focus on one EC and improve GPA's.

Should I do some more clinical and non clinical volunteer work, or does it seem like I have enough of it?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion? I think you have enough TIME put in, but if you stop now, then make sure you can tell ADCOMs what you did with your extra time between gaps. Focus on grades for now.

Looks pretty good, but I agree with OrdinaryDO. Look into volunteering a few hours a week in a hospital, but do it long-term (6 months-1 year). That will show commitment