Do I need research to match into General Surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueComet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently finished up my M2 classes and am currently in my dedicated study time for Step 1. I attend a private medical school in CA. During my first 2 years in medical, I did not do any research, as opportunities were limited and I started medical school in 2020 during the COVID 19 pandemic. I am honestly not interested in research. I mainly focused on my classes and passed all of them. For my cohort, Step 1 will be pass/fail for the first time and Step 2 will be scored. I plan to pass step 1 and hope to do very well in Step 2. I am certain I want to go into general surgery for residency and possibly specialize via fellowship afterward but I would also be content working as a general surgeon.

My plan is to possibly do some research during the time off between finishing Step 1 and starting M3 clerkships, work very hard during clerkships to get strong LORs, and achieve high honors for clerkship grades.

My 1st choice residency program is located in CA and is a community-based program that does have externships in General surgery available. I hope to do an externship there and hopefully make a great impression.

Would I be a competitive applicant at general surgery residencies if I follow this plan? Is there anything I can add that will make me more competitive? I dont have a strong desire to match into a "top tier" research-focused academic program.

If I am not able to publish any research publications, would I still be able to match into a general surgery residency program? I would be willing to go anywhere in the country. Or is research absolutely necessary and if I cannot publish I should look at a different specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can be competitive for decent programs without publishing papers, but having research projects that you can talk about in interviews will be helpful. Obviously if you want to match at the fancier programs you’ll need a more impressive CV.

Reactions: 1 user
Match rate for GS applicants with zero publications (~7% of applicants) was 80%, not too much worse than the overall match rate for GS. That's different than not doing any research, though. Almost 99% of GS applicants listed at least one research project on ERAS.

A lot of my close med school friends went on to community GS residencies, and they ALL had done at least some research. I would too if I were you, if only a little. There's something out there for everyone, including quality improvement or other less "science-y" stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Match rate for GS applicants with zero publications (~7% of applicants) was 80%, not too much worse than the overall match rate for GS. That's different than not doing any research, though. Almost 99% of GS applicants listed at least one research project on ERAS.

A lot of my close med school friends went on to community GS residencies, and they ALL had done at least some research. I would too if I were you, if only a little. There's something out there for everyone, including quality improvement or other less "science-y" stuff.
ahh ok. It seems its probably best to atleast try to do something. I appreciate the insight.

Last edited:
You can be competitive for decent programs without publishing papers, but having research projects that you can talk about in interviews will be helpful. Obviously if you want to match at the fancier programs you’ll need a more impressive CV.
I appreciate the reply. I will put more effort into seeking out research projects before I apply for the match.

Last edited:
I would have something, but yeah if you’re targeting community places they won’t care nearly as much. But you don’t want to me the one person who doesn’t have anything when the other applicants at least have some lit reviews and stuff like that.

Reactions: 1 user
I would have something, but yeah if you’re targeting community places they won’t care nearly as much. But you don’t want to me the one person who doesn’t have anything when the other applicants at least have some lit reviews and stuff like that.

Congrats on your GS match, hopefully I can be in that position in 2 years.

Last edited: