Do I need SMP to have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badapplestix

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'll be graduating/applying to schools in June (CA resident). I just wanted to know if I should do some sort of SMP, or if it's even necessary. My cGPA=3.5, and sGPA=3.3 (with an upward trend). Senior year GPA = 4.0. I'm taking my MCAT in March, and I got a 31 on my most recent practice test. Here are some of my ECs.

2 research projects (different summers), no publications
Research with a doctor at local medical school (3 quarters)
100 hours volunteering at the local hospital
In a program that teaches high school kids about HIV/AIDS
Shadowed a surgeon for 2 weeks
Did work with TB/HIV patients in India for 2 weeks
Volunteered at school for troubled kids (2 quarters)

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

No you don't need an SMP. It's possible you could get an admission as you are at a less-selective school, but to improve the chance, put your effort into raising your undergrad BCPM GPA, maybe by delaying graduation and staying in college an extra year to take upper-level science classes, while you take a shot at applying next cycle.

As far as the ECs, I don't see a leadership experience, and you could use some additional shadowing. Consider a primary care physician this time. Everything else looks good.

Members don't see this ad :)
look at my app. similar numbers. i got in. good luck :) i don't think you need smp. make sure everythings else is good

oh and study really really hard for the mcat!!

Don't waste your time and money on an SMP program. You don't need it. Your ECs are good, but as for leadership experience, that's up to you. Leadership EC, just like research, is recommended, NOT a requirement to apply to med school. Your stats are average, but adcoms will make note of your upwards GPA trend. As for the MCAT, study hard and do your best, but you don't need a 35+. Good luck. :thumbup: