Do I need to be artistic to enjoy and do well in dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys! I want to pursue Dentistry as a career but one thing that kinda making me having 2nd thought is that I am not a very good artist. I appreciated arts (i.e going to gallery) but I draw like a 3rd grade kid. And I am not sure whether I have good manual dexterity or not. All I know is that my hand doesn't shake when I try to inject something into a machine we use in chemistry. Will I have trouble with this career without the gift of art? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i have the same concern, considering the cosmetic applications involved. Some dentists consider what they do an art form.

hey dont you guys worry too much!
yes, it always helps if you have some manual dexterity, but its nothing that you cant improve with practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to be a good illustrator? No.

Do you have to enjoy working with your hands everyday, and use them to create super fine precision. Yes. This doesn't mean you have to be able to draw, but each filling or crown prep is like a miniature sculpture that you create with your eyes and hands.

I know its tough because you can't DO dentistry before you commit yourself to it. You'll just have to think if you enjoy working with your hands.

dentalman said:
I know its tough because you can't DO dentistry before you commit yourself to it. You'll just have to think if you enjoy working with your hands.

why do you have to "think if you enjoy working with your hands"? Dentistry is all about hand work and if it's not what you expect then why not choosing other career?! If manual work isn't for you, then medical school would be a an option.

Smooth Operater said:
Hello guys! I want to pursue Dentistry as a career but one thing that kinda making me having 2nd thought is that I am not a very good artist. I appreciated arts (i.e going to gallery) but I draw like a 3rd grade kid. And I am not sure whether I have good manual dexterity or not. All I know is that my hand doesn't shake when I try to inject something into a machine we use in chemistry. Will I have trouble with this career without the gift of art? Thanks!
There isn't an artistic bone in my body, but I am still making it through first year. Although I would love making nice and beautiful preps, B's work well with me as well :D

I don't think you need to be artistic to do good work as a dentist.

Even in a worst-case scenario in which you end up having the worst dexterity on Earth it won't be a total disaster as there are options available to dentists that require little or no manual skill.

dentalman's post hit it on the head for me. One doesn't have to be a good illustrator or painter, but one should have an appreciation for creating a bit of perfection.

ItsGavinC said:
dentalman's post hit it on the head for me. One doesn't have to be a good illustrator or painter, but one should have an appreciation for creating a bit of perfection.
Being able to draw is not necessary imho. You do need to be somewhat artistic (esp in cosmetic dentistry). I think that it is even more important that you are good with your hands. You will be working with them each and every day and be required to do very fine precision work. If you do not already know that your hands are pretty good and if you do not regularly use them, you might think of another profession. Sorry to be so blunt but I think that those who go into school without good hands suffer all the way through school and through their practice lives.

Smooth Operater said:
Do I need to be artistic to enjoy and do well in dentistry?

Clearly not as evidenced by north2southOMFS's skilz.

Smooth Operater said:
I draw like a 3rd grade kid

omsres just finished the 3rd grade and they let him do surgery.

Smooth Operater said:

Artsy fartsy has nothing to do with it! If you have good manual dexterity and eyes for details, enjoy interact with patients, managing a practice...then dentistry is for you. No manual dexterity? Practice and hard work will get you there! Suck/hate at drill and fill, "cosmetic" dentistry but still like dentistry? keep your grades and board scores high to apply for specialties such as Pedo, Dental Anesthesiologist, Ortho, Perio, Oral surgery...

There're a lot of 3rd grade kids in my class, you'll fit right in :D

Shadow a dentist, if you like what you're seeing then go for it! Good luck

I am also a 3rd grader, and proud to say that I will graduate in May. I won't lie, it's been rough learning these skills, but I continue to improve. 2nd year was the worst for me b/c I had NO idea what I was getting myself into with the lab work. I still hate it...but, I will be a general dentist. Definitely shadow a dentist and maybe even a dental student so they can show you what you really have to do in dental school!

Best of luck!

Hi Everyday!

Dentistry is an art after all...

But being a dentist is a matter of accuracy,patience ,good medical and dental background as well,,

so you dont have to be RONALDO to be a good footballer :)