Do I need to fill out a fafsa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Csv321

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied and have only interviewed at one school (VCU) and am on hold. Do I fill out a fafsa now or wait until I'm accepted? What if I'm pulled off the waitlist in the summer? Do I have to list schools now and or do schools automatically get my fafsa after they accept me (if I get an acceptance this round)?

Members don't see this ad.

Fill it out now. You'll list VCU on the app.

Csv321 said:
I have applied and have only interviewed at one school (VCU) and am on hold. Do I fill out a fafsa now or wait until I'm accepted? What if I'm pulled off the waitlist in the summer? Do I have to list schools now and or do schools automatically get my fafsa after they accept me (if I get an acceptance this round)?

FILL OUT YOUR FAFSA BEFORE THE DEADLINE. I think you are only eligible for loans after the deadline -the grants will no longer be avaliable. This requires 2004 tax info for both you and your parents, so its time to get cracking (the Cali deadline is March 2).

You can always turn down loans later. I think you have to fill out schools now, but I might be wrong. I think its just a release.

It would be heartbreaking to get an acceptance (I'm sure that you will) and not be able to go because you didn't do your financial homework. Or to incur more debt for not turning in your homework on time and needing to pay for the first year with high interest private loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Time to get started...thanks so much!

Should I fill out my parents' info even though it says I don't have to?

Csv321 said:
Should I fill out my parents' info even though it says I don't have to?

I'm not entirely sure about the parent stuff for FAFSA. I think for med school your family info is required regardless of age, marital status, etc. Personally, I'd prefer not to since my fam info would only hurt me. (They have some money, I have none.) PM me if it looks like we don't need parental info. I'm 24, so maybe I'm "old" enough to be evaluated on my own two feet.

This is the time to take care of it. I'm a fellow San Diegan and looking out the window isn't as pretty as usual. If you were UCSD, I think there is a finan aid office.

Is it a requirement to post parental info???

Or does it depend on the schools?

:confused:

Yes, fill out parental information. Estimates will suffice if you/they haven't filed your/their taxes yet.

Okay, so if one parent has enormous medical bills (and thus can't help the student financially) and the other parent is a heartless bastard who lets his wife tell him he can't pay for his child's education (but he has GOBS of money to do so)...

...what can the student do? How do you prove you're independent if the rich parent is too paranoid to give you an estimate of their finances (but still won't help you pay for school)?

fotolilith said:
Okay, so if one parent has enormous medical bills (and thus can't help the student financially) and the other parent is a heartless bastard who lets his wife tell him he can't pay for his child's education (but he has GOBS of money to do so)...

...what can the student do? How do you prove you're independent if the rich parent is too paranoid to give you an estimate of their finances (but still won't help you pay for school)?

Dont know what the particulars of your situation is, but if your parents are divorced, you only need to fill out ONE parents info. For your particular situation, you mite wanna call FAFSA and ask them.

anyone know the deadline for fafsa... im doin it the first time

My parents are gonna pay my way through med school but should I still fill out a fafsa? I just read that the deadline was March 2nd for California so that deadline has passed for me. Can anyone give me some more info about this and also tell me where I can fill out a fafsa form if necessary. Thanks.

fotolilith said:

I am in a similar situation. My parents are divorced and my mom is in no position to help pay for school. My father on the other hand, has enough money to help pay, but absolutely refuses to. As you say, "heartless bastard". This caused HUGE problems for me in undergrad. You can only hope that you find a financial aid office that will understand and work with you. There is a special section on CSS Profile (don't know if you're using this, I did in undergrad, but it depends on the schools) which allows you to explain your situation in a little paragraph. I wrote that my father is unwilling to disclose his financial information or contribute in any way. Then I followed this up with long letters to the financial aid offices at each school explaining the situation and begging them to understand. The school I ended up at for undergrad was very understanding and worked with me. My first choice however, completely screwed me over and refused to offer me any sort of financial aid until my father submitted his tax returns to them and completed the requisite forms. Again, being "a heartless bastard" he didn't. So, although accepted to my first choice, I "decided" not to go there because I could not get any kind of financial aid. Just hope and pray your schools are understanding about this. I didn't think a**hole fathers were that unusual, but apparently some of these people at various financial aid offices are completely unfamiliar with the concept.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the deadline for fafsa itself is june of next year........but of course if u start school in the fall u want to apply ASAP....I think most kids r done by Feb. and March. Also, some schools have deadlines that vary.......like Feb Mar or Apr. In terms of parent's info......it can help u if u think the school will give u grants because ur parents dont make enough. I think most med schools want it.....correct me if i am wrong anyone.

Csv321 said:

You really need to get that FAFSA done. If you wait until you are accepted, you will be beyond the deadline, and will be eligible for ZERO loan money.

Different schools have different deadlines. Some are in March, some April, some May.

However, even if you complete it before the deadline, you may not get some of the money. This is because schools give out money on a first-come, first-served basis, and it may be all gone by the time you even fill the thing out.

fotolilith said:

You are automatically considered independant. You only need to fill out parent info to be considered for need based scholarships and loans. EVERYBODY will get the full stafford loans regardless of perental info, so don't worry about it.

but whats the deal with this feb deadline? it seems like the process is school dependent; am i incorrect?

Haybrant said:
but whats the deal with this feb deadline? it seems like the process is school dependent; am i incorrect?

What Feb deadline do you speak of? FAFSA's deadline is in June, but most people starting this Fall, if they're smart, will fill out their FAFSA as soon as it comes out, which was this past Feb

PineappleGirl said:
I am in a similar situation. My parents are divorced and my mom is in no position to help pay for school. My father on the other hand, has enough money to help pay, but absolutely refuses to. As you say, "heartless bastard". This caused HUGE problems for me in undergrad. You can only hope that you find a financial aid office that will understand and work with you. There is a special section on CSS Profile (don't know if you're using this, I did in undergrad, but it depends on the schools) which allows you to explain your situation in a little paragraph. I wrote that my father is unwilling to disclose his financial information or contribute in any way. Then I followed this up with long letters to the financial aid offices at each school explaining the situation and begging them to understand. The school I ended up at for undergrad was very understanding and worked with me. My first choice however, completely screwed me over and refused to offer me any sort of financial aid until my father submitted his tax returns to them and completed the requisite forms. Again, being "a heartless bastard" he didn't. So, although accepted to my first choice, I "decided" not to go there because I could not get any kind of financial aid. Just hope and pray your schools are understanding about this. I didn't think a**hole fathers were that unusual, but apparently some of these people at various financial aid offices are completely unfamiliar with the concept.

Unfortunately, your situation is far too common (get accepted to top choice, but they won't give you money to go there), but it sounds like you did an amazing job nonetheless.

I'm finding out more that, after undergrad, our parents' financial situations have MUCH less influence on our financial aid. There are a lot less scholarships for med students than undergrad, so most people I know have taken loans with little problem. I hope we both have to jump through less hoops in the future. Good luck, and thanks for replying!

Some schools have a priority deadline. I don't quite know what this means, but that could by why there's an earlier date than June.

2tall said:
Some schools have a priority deadline. I don't quite know what this means, but that could by why there's an earlier date than June.

This is for aid that cannot be given to all students. For example, our school only gives out Perkins loans to out-of-state students, but if they wait too late to fill out the FAFSA, that extra money will be given out to in-state students. They only have a certain total amount of money they can give it.

Thanks for the info. Do you know how this affects waitlisted applicants? Let's say I fill out my fafsa in Januray, but don't get an acceptance until July. Are financial aid packages drawn up for all potential matriculants?

Regarding parental information: my parents staunchly refused to provide FAFSA with thier information so I called all the schools I would possibly get into to find out. You only need to put your parents information on FAFSA if you want institutional aid. That is, the merit and need-based grants, scholarships, and loans that the school has and distributes requires parental data. As was said on pg 1, you are considered independent for Stafford loans, meaning if you want to borrow the entire cost of your medical education, you don't need to include parental data.

Financial aid operates much like the general medical school application process. First, you fill out the FAFSA, for which you need your tax return and, if you want consideration for institutional aid, your parents tax return. You can fill it out after January 1 of your matriculation year and you can designate up to 6 schools to which you might possibly matriculate. This includes schools to which you've been accepted, waitlisted, or just haven't heard from yet. The general FAFSA deadline is in June.

However (and this is an important however), most schools require their own financial aid application, regardless of whether you're applying for institutional aid or not. If you needed parental info on FAFSA, you'll need it for the schools' applications. If you didn't need parental on the former, you won't need it on the latter. The deadlines for those applications are usually much earlier than June. Most school require it by March. This means that you must do your taxes, maybe your parents' taxes, fill out the FAFSA, and then snail mail the materials explained below to the schools you might possibly get into or are into by the schools' individual deadlines. Most schools require you to mail to them their financial aid application, a signed copy of yours and your parents' (if required) tax return, copies of your W2s, and your Student Aid Report, which is a summary of the FAFSA that you can print off once it's complete.

I had never filled out a FAFSA before, done my taxes, or ever dealt with a financial aid office before this year. It's really not that complicated. However, if you have any questions about your particular situation, whether you should fill out the FAFSA or anything else, call the financial aid office of any school and they'll walk you through it. I swear those people are omniscient.

All the best.

Why are parents so stubborn at times?

That's why God made nursing homes!

I'm hoping that when I'm a doctor I can declare them unfit to make their own decisions and have them both committed. ahhh... sigh. They're family, I guess you've gotta love 'em.

So if I have this straight---
you don't need to provide parental info on the fafsa, in which case you will [only] get the full stafford loans. if you fill out parental info, you may get federal grants + loans. correct?
also, all schools require parental info for any institutional grants or loans...?
is this all correct?

sunsweet said:
you don't need to provide parental info on the fafsa, in which case you will [only] get the full stafford loans. if you fill out parental info, you may get federal grants + loans. correct?
also, all schools require parental info for any institutional grants or loans...?
is this all correct?

The parental info is for school specific grants and scholarships only.

sunsweet said:
is this all correct?

Sorry, no federal grants for medical school. Only federal loans.

Parental information will only allow for instiutional specific aid. It will not be used in any federal aid determination.

Also, all schools do not offer aid in addition to federal aid, therefore the parental information is not always required.