Do I need to get a committee letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imaginedragon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I have to get a committee letter if my undergrad pre-health committee offers one? I personally prefer to send my individual letters as either a letter packet or directly to medical schools because the committee letter may not reflect the strength of each letter. I have been collecting my letters on Interfolio and when I reached out to my undergrad's pre-health committee for a letter packet, they said that I could just directly send it using Interfolio instead. I looked through the medical schools' preferences for LORs and they all accept individual letters but some prefer a committee letter/letter packet. So would it be alright if I just directly send my letters through Interfolio to the medical schools rather than obtain a committee letter even though my school offers that service?

Members don't see this ad.

Do I have to get a committee letter if my undergrad pre-health committee offers one? I personally prefer to send my individual letters as either a letter packet or directly to medical schools because the committee letter may not reflect the strength of each letter. I have been collecting my letters on Interfolio and when I reached out to my undergrad's pre-health committee for a letter packet, they said that I could just directly send it using Interfolio instead. I looked through the medical schools' preferences for LORs and they all accept individual letters but some prefer a committee letter/letter packet. So would it be alright if I just directly send my letters through Interfolio to the medical schools rather than obtain a committee letter even though my school offers that service?
I will need clarification on the pronouns here, but at least you got advice from your prehealth advisors about what to do.

"They said I could just directly send it using Interfolio instead." I need to know what you mean by "it". Are they saying they can send their committee evaluation to the schools through your Interfolio? Are you being asked to send the committee your letters so they can review them for their committee evaluation?

Can you send your letters directly through Interfolio? Yes, you can (through the AMCAS service or whatever). Can you get a committee evaluation sent to the schools if THEY use Interfolio or the AMCAS service? Yes, you can if that is what they prefer. All I would ask is that you not be redundant (don't send schools your committee evaluation that includes your supporting letters AND separately the same supporting letters).