Medical Do I need to get a science letter of recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently considered a non-traditional student enrolled in a Post-Bacc program planning to apply to medical school during this upcoming cycle. I have worked as a nuclear medicine technologist since 2019 and still keep in contact with the directors of my undergraduate program. That being said, I am confident in the LORs that I have been able to ask for from my current and previous professors as well as doctors that I have been able to network with throughout my career.

I am unsure if the professors from my undergraduate program will count as non-science professors since we focused more on clinical work, although there was a heavy emphasis on science topics in our curriculum around morphological correlations as well as the physics of radiation. If so, will I need to reach out to more traditional "non-science" professors?

Also, I am currently serving on my sorority's National Board. Will it be beneficial to include a letter of recommendation from my overseeing President even if they are not related to medicine or science at all? I have been involved with my sorority for 5 years throughout my undergraduate career and after graduation, and I mention this as one of my meaningful experiences. I'm not sure what kinds of letters schools are looking for specifically and would appreciate any insight on the matter. Thanks in advance!
Yes, you need to get a real non-science LOR. Did you take any English courses? I got mine from a philosophy course I took in community college and it worked out fine. Reach out to more traditional non science professors.

Yes an LOR from an EC that you've been involved, committed to, and demonstrated leadership in would be a very strong LOR especially coming from higher ups on that board that know you well. I had a letter from my volunteer/charity event supervisor from the Crohn's and Colitis Foundations after helping multiple years with events.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, make sure to get a "real" non-science" letter. I got my letter from an English professor. You should always aim to get letters from writers that agree to write you "strong" letters of rec AND you know well and for a good amount of time. The better they know you, the more personal the letter will be and the better it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.