Do I need to have done pre-med in US to study Medicine in Spain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudenteofMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from high school and college (B.A. - 2008 in a non-medical field) and I am considering studying Medicine in Spain. I am wondering if they require US students to have done their pre-medical coursework and to have taken the MCAT in order to be eligible to study Medicine.

I know that Spanish and EU-students only need to have finished high school in order to be eligible to apply for any university degree, but, for example, to study Medicine in Italy US students are required to have done everything a US student needs to do in order to apply for a US Med School. So, I'm wondering if Spain works the same way.

Any info would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

If I may ask, are you fluent in Spanish? If you, then I think you would qualify (with or without having taken the MCAT.)

If I may ask, are you fluent in Spanish? If you, then I think you would qualify (with or without having taken the MCAT.)

Yes, I am fluent in Spanish (originally I am from Argentina). The info I'm trying to obtain is whether US students, that is, those who went to high school in the US, are required to have completed a B.A. (which I have done) and to have taken the pre-med courses required by US med schools.

Although it makes no sense that they would require this, I know of other countries that have this requirement for US students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should be fine. I'm an American high school grad and I came to Europe without any problems.

I think you should be fine. I'm an American high school grad and I came to Europe without any problems.

In which European country do you study Medicine?

The fact that you didn't have trouble going to "Europe" in general is not very conclusive since I know that Italy does have the previously-mentioned requirements for US students.

I have not yet been able to find this information online on the websites of Spanish universities or on the Ministry of Education's website.

Haha true, since each country as it's own set of requirements. I study in Czeh Republc and I have a spanish friend who told me that students just have to pass the entrance exam, regardless of where they're coming from. You also need a good GPA.

Does anyone know how you go about practicing in Spain after finishing a US residency? I am a plastic surgery resident and would like to end up in Spain.

Does anyone know how you go about practicing in Spain after finishing a US residency? I am a plastic surgery resident and would like to end up in Spain.

You saw "The Skin I Live In" and found your true calling.