Do I need to retake general chemistry 1 with the lab if I got a C-?

Max98

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2017
Hi, in my fall semester I unfortunately got a C- on general chemistry. I know that I need to retake it since its a pre requisite for medical schools. Do I need to retake it with the labs or can I just retake the lecture?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
ONLY if a school you're applying to requires a C or better.

OR if you feel that you haven't mastered the material, as you'll need it for MCAT.

MCATISEZ

2+ Year Member
May 31, 2016
Status
Medical Student
ONLY if a school you're applying to requires a C or better.

OR if you feel that you haven't mastered the material, as you'll need it for MCAT.
Some schools do not award credit for grades under a "C", so that means he would have to retake it right? Gen Chem. 1 is a prereq for most non-competency based schools.

About the Ads

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Some schools do not award credit for grades under a "C", so that means he would have to retake it right? Gen Chem. 1 is a prereq for most non-competency based schools.
Yes, he would have to retake. A C- is not a C.

OP
M

Max98

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2017
Does the lab have a separate grade that is higher than a C-
It doesn't so I think I will have to take it. However, I'm transfering colleges and that college gives 3 credits for lecture and 2 for lab. Can I take lecture and lab at different semesters?

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Including the lab?

It depends upon the school's requirement.

If the school requires "1 year of chem including lab with no grade less than a 3.0" ...how do you interpret that?

Reactions: Doctor-S

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
It doesn't so I think I will have to take it. However, I'm transfering colleges and that college gives 3 credits for lecture and 2 for lab. Can I take lecture and lab at different semesters?

Then the lab is part of the class and its grade.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
I'm transfering colleges and that college gives 3 credits for lecture and 2 for lab. Can I take lecture and lab at different semesters?
If the new school doesn't require simultaneous registration, then you can take them in different terms.

OP
M

Max98

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2017
Ok. Thanks for all the responses!

About the Ads