Do I need to retake undergrad biology courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bamboo000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a BS in biology from a foreign country and a PhD in biology from a university in the US.

I retook undergrad physics/chemistry/English/humanities in an American university, and so far my cGPA is 4.0. I may be able to get a BA degree from a university in the US next year, since I took so many credits (around 50 credits).

I have around 70 credits from my PhD in biology. I took many graduate level biology courses like cell biology/genetics/molecular biology/developmental biology etc. My gGPA is not so great, around 3.6.

I also taught college level biology in the US for many years.

I asked many schools, and some schools said they would take my graduate level courses towards prerequisites. However, the problem is that none of my graduate level courses includes labs, which are required by every school. Also, some schools said they would only accept intro level biology courses and would not accept advanced biology courses. I do not have have any intro bio courses nor any bio lab that can be verified by AMCAS.

Is it necessary for me to retake undergrad biology courses to fulfill the pre-reqs? It will be really weird to take courses that I taught before, even though they will probably be easy A's.

-------------
Update:
I just realized that I did take labs in my graduate school, so I'm fine with that. I got straight "yes" from all the med schools that I asked. Every school said I am fine with my current biology courses. So far, not a single school told me that they require me to take general biology 1&2 and they need to see my performance taking an undergrad intro course.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Perhaps someone more qualified may be able to answer better than I can, but from the research I've done on many schools over the past few months, they typically REQUIRE the intro level courses (i.e. gen bio, gen chem, gen physics, orgo, INCLUDING LAB SECTIONS FOR THEM); any other higher level classes you took will be seen as supplementary as far as actual "requirements" go. There is also a significant number of schools that require biochemistry, statistics, and humanities, so each school handles those a little differently. However, from what I've seen, the four "general" classes + orgo and their associated lab sections are mandatory requirements. My friend who placed out of them from AP credits was able to "substitute" higher level classes in for them if you end up falling in the same boat as he did. Hope this was helpful.

This is why I disagree with a strict laboratory requirement. If you do research in that field, you should be excused from labs, imo.