Do I need to review anatomy and/or embryo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing the Qbank questions and am scoring in the 60's in every field except anatomy and embryology- a measly 47% and 52% respectively. Is there enough anatomy and embryo on Step 1 to make it worth my while to study these more? Or am I better off focusing more on path, pharm, and phys?

Members don't see this ad.

There will be 10-20 combined questions that are pure Anatomy or Embryo. So not too many.

But why are you asking that here. I would tell you to for sure to review it.

I was always told just to read first aid for these subjects and thats plenty. I havent taken the test (will in a month!), but thats all i'm using.

I think I got about 10 anatomy questions and only 2 embryo questions.

Most things were pretty simple -- I'm talking very, very basic anatomy here.

However, there are things that are double- and triple-scored. For example, you may be shown an MRI image and asked to identify where a disease process normally occurs. This may be scored for three things: pathology, neuroscience, and anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
What Embryology books do you guys use to revise for the Embryology section. I'm studying in the UK so I'm not sure what to use. Over here for my medical school exams we use Langman's Medical Embryology and The Developing Human. Is that enough for the Step I?

Jus

Originally posted by Amy
I've been told HY Embryo is all you need (plus FA, of course). It's only about 50 pages... a relatively quick read.

I'm a fan of HY Embryo, too. Unless you're using a different edition, mine (2nd edition) is about 140 pages. Still a quick read, though.

I think knowing the structures that come from each arch, pouch, and cleft would be a bare minimum and "high yield."

The qbank seems to have a lot of questions about the embryological origin of the kidneys, ureters, and etc.

Not to mention the muellerian or wolfian ducts and what comes from each. But there is just too much embyology and too little time and too little interest on my part to make any serious effort at studying it.

Plus, at my school embryology is split up by systems so we tend to forget a lot of it. It is kind of disjointed.

i think that cross-sectional anatomy would be particularly important for the pathology questions as well; I have been getting a lot of "what structure does the lesion correspond to" questions on Q-bank these days.. basic Neuroanatomy seems to be a high-yield area as well.