Do I need to shadow MD family doctor if I shadowed DO family doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winterwind_23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have shadowed two family medicine DOs for a full day each (about 16 hours total). I heard that it is good to get some shadowing in with a family doctor for MD applications. Will shadowing family medicine DOs count? Or should I try to get more shadowing in with family medicine doctors, but this time with MD? Will it look bad with for MD schools if I shadow mostly DOs?

Members don't see this ad.

I have shadowed two family medicine DOs for a full day each (about 16 hours total). I heard that it is good to get some shadowing in with a family doctor for MD applications. Will shadowing family medicine DOs count? Or should I try to get more shadowing in with family medicine doctors, but this time with MD? Will it look bad with for MD schools if I shadow mostly DOs?
Yes. No. No.

Reactions: 2 users
One of my good friends is a third year DO student and she hooked me up with a family doctor at her school to shadow who is a DO. I shadowed him for a couple months and got to know him really well and he wrote me a great LOR. I got accepted to multiple MD schools so this shouldn't be a concern to you.

A family medicine DO and a family medicine MD are both doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine. You don't need to shadow anymore doctors.

You're one cheeky mate.

I should clarify my question. What I actually meant is should I try to shadow more family medicine physicians that are MD, or should I try to shadow other specialties at this time? I think I have my answer for this already though.

You're one cheeky mate.

I should clarify my question. What I actually meant is should I try to shadow more family medicine physicians that are MD, or should I try to shadow other specialties at this time? I think I have my answer for this already though.
Shadow different specialties only if you think it would be fun. It won't help your app.

In this particular case, the degree doesn't matter for MD schools - they're fine if you shadow FP DO's. Try switching specialties now for your shadowing.