Do i need to start making phone calls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoDakDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, to start I check these forums about 7 times a day so I decided I should just make an account and join the party.

I'll give you all a little bio on me and then some stats and it would be great if you could let me know what you think. I was born in Virginia but have lived the last 20 years in South Dakota and yes I go to school by Mount Rushmore. First of all, I would say probably my most defining attribute is that I was a 6 year collegiate football player. A torn labrum and tearing both ACLs really threw a wrench in the me being a traditional applicant. there was a span of over a 1,000 days where I didn't play a football game point in my life, overcame it all got voted a captain this fall. Didn't turn my apps all in until early November because in college football its not ok to miss a practice for a med school interview and expect to play that week. So all my secondaries have been in for two months now. I applied to UNE, RVU, both Lecoms, DMU, WVU, PNWU, and all three Vias. I have interviews at Bradenton and PNWU and a post secondary rejection from DMU.

BS in Biology
working on MS in integrative Genomics
MCAT 6 PS/10 VR/ 11BS
sGPA 3.69 cGPA 3.75 Graduate GPA 4.0
Great LOR my DO was team physician, fixed my second ACL he's at a sports medicine fellowship with the colts then taking a position at VCOM

I have over a thousand hours of research primarily in alternative antibiotics for MRSA and Microbial genomics
hours for football I figured out to be around 5,000 over 6 years.
I was the president of the student advisory committee, we transitioned divisions so I basically wrote the bylaws
I have about 600 hours of coaching in both football and baseball
300 hours of being a student athletic trainer

Should I be getting worried or do I need to just relax?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any clinical experience? Hospital volunteering, nursing homes, etc? Because otherwise this looks like a really good application to me (but I'm just a fellow applicant)

I Have some shadowing, and I was told all the athletic hours counted as clinical experience by my DO. I also am getting into the VA this spring for more exposure. Also if need be my older brother is a nursing home admin so If I don't get in this cycle I can get some hours in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do the athletic hours count as clinical experience...? Unless you were a coach for children with diabetes, mental ******ation, etc.? It's great though that your brother works at a nursing home, I would jump at that asap, maybe he could give you something interesting to do there and, of course, it would "count" as clinical experience

Sorry *athletic training not just athletic.

It seems your "clinical" experience is more suited for physical therapy. I'm guessing your app got shot down at many schools because they probably aren't convinced that you even know what you're getting into. How do you know that being a doctor is right for you without any clinical experience?

60 hours of podiatry, 80 orthopedic surgery/sports med, 40 internal med. Personally, I feel like no amount of hours spent watching a physician can prepare you for the life of a physician. It's kinda like saying watching someone parent a kid for a week prepares you enough for the life of being a parent.
The question I was asking is after 2 months shouldn't I have heard from more than 3 schools?

I definitely agree that shadowing doesn't actually prepare you for anything. But in any case, shadowing and clinical experience are different things. I think schools like to see that you were in some position of "service" to a clinical population, even if it's just fetching blankets. I might be wrong though.

Either way, to answer your question, it seems that there are quite a few of us on SDN who still haven't heard from many schools despite having stats within the school's average.

The only thing I don't like about your app is you never really worked in a healthcare setting. All of my fellow interviewees this cycle were a scribe for a few years, EMT, CNA, or something along those lines. Also that 6 in PS section, though definitely the least important section, is still somewhat damning. Would look a lot better if that were an 8, at the very least a 7. This is all I got for you though, you have a pretty strong app overall, that's a LOT of research experience. You should start scribing for the next 6 months and start planning to reapply next cycle, I feel with scribing under your belt, you're as close to what I'd call a "shoo-in" as a pre-med can honestly be these days.

OK, to start I check these forums about 7 times a day so I decided I should just make an account and join the party.

I'll give you all a little bio on me and then some stats and it would be great if you could let me know what you think. I was born in Virginia but have lived the last 20 years in South Dakota and yes I go to school by Mount Rushmore. First of all, I would say probably my most defining attribute is that I was a 6 year collegiate football player. A torn labrum and tearing both ACLs really threw a wrench in the me being a traditional applicant. there was a span of over a 1,000 days where I didn't play a football game point in my life, overcame it all got voted a captain this fall. Didn't turn my apps all in until early November because in college football its not ok to miss a practice for a med school interview and expect to play that week. So all my secondaries have been in for two months now. I applied to UNE, RVU, both Lecoms, DMU, WVU, PNWU, and all three Vias. I have interviews at Bradenton and PNWU and a post secondary rejection from DMU.

BS in Biology
MCAT 6 PS/10 VR/ 11BS
Great LOR my DO was team physician, fixed my second ACL he's at a sports medicine fellowship with the colts then taking a position at VCOM

I have over a thousand hours of research primarily in alternative antibiotics for MRSA and Microbial genomics
I was the president of the student advisory committee, we transitioned divisions so I basically wrote the bylaws

If you don't mind me asking, which campus is the DO that fixed your ACL going to?

you are way good. Applying late and to few schools might have made it a bit harder for you, but you're definitely getting in this cycle.

I was complete in september-october and I recieved 3 interview invites in the past month. Your turn will come up pretty soon given that they are getting to november applications now-ish.

Virginia. Awesome mentor, went to DMU. Talked me out of being a podiatrist. Bart Eastwood, would email me after every game and tell me good job. One of those doctors that use their influence to make a difference in other people's lives not just from a medical approach.

Ya I wish I would have had more direction in my undergrad, I go to a school that primarily produces teachers other than ironically the athletes that make up most the pre meds.

Shoot. I was hoping you'd say auburn. I've been accepted to VCOM auburn and would like to know more about the staff

The Vice President for research he did his residency (ortho pod) with. A part of me really wants to go to auburn. I think being part of an inaugural class would be awesome. Congratulations though! I'm sure you're sleeping a lot better since then, I swear about once a week I Wake up with a nightmare of having to move back into my parents house

Vice president of research at auburn? Thanks, I appreciate it. Sounds like you've got a lot going for you though

I was complete for DMU 11/17/14, have was given an II from them about a week and a half ago.

Ortho discipline chair sorry not Vice President of research. New Year's Eve from DMU? Cause that's when I got my rejection email.

You have a solid app and I believe you will be getting some love this cycle despite how late you were complete. But yes, at this point in the game, I would definitely recommend making phone calls or at least emailing schools checking on the "status" of your application. I did quite a few "status" checks, albeit earlier in the cycle, and received multiple interviews within the same week. Most schools(the ones I interacted with which were entirely osteopathic), appreciated the extra effort and were very open in their communication with me. Good luck!

With two IIs, you are in no position to either get anxious or complain.

The PS6 is a problem, but obviously not lethal.

The cycle isn't over yet either, so remember that patience is a virtue.

BS in Biology
MCAT 6 PS/10 VR/ 11BS

Reactions: 1 users
I think your stats and Ecs are good, if you applied earlier and more broadly you would have many ii. Good luck on the 2 interviews, I had 3 interviews and got 1 acceptance out of them, 1 WL, 1 rejection. Practice for the interviews and be yourself. If you don't get in this year, re-apply next year in JUNE and apply to at least 2x as many schools. You'll get in somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user