do i need to stay for secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calbears84

professional baller
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i want to go to taiwan for a mission trip this summer (i think the trip is from late june to early august), but am hesitant because of the fear that i might need to stay for secondaries. what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Heck no! I'd leave for Taiwan so fast, it would make the Ad Comm.'s head spin. :)

Why can't you do secondaries in Taiwan?

I think it's fine to go ahead,

BUT, make sure you come back ASAP in Aug.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to find out before hand what some secondary essay questions are for all your schools. That way, you can work on them in Taiwan.

In addition, most schools now post their secondaries on the web. Will you have internet access?

You want to be in the country around secondaries time though. Because AFTER you turn em in, that's when the Sh*! hits the fan and you get interviews, and you kiss up to the admissions people, and your secondaries get lost, and the school never received your transcripts, ... bla bla bla...and the list goes on...

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by calbears84:
•i want to go to taiwan for a mission trip this summer (i think the trip is from late june to early august), but am hesitant because of the fear that i might need to stay for secondaries. what do you guys think?•••••I would do it. You won't have a chance to do it for the rest of your next 10 years, so I'd do it. Asia is also a great place to travel..although the weather in taiwan/japan during june is torrid and humid.

i'm not from taiwan and have not been to taiwan. so i don't know if i can have access to the internet while im there. um...so as long as i have internet access, i will be ok for the secondaries? all schools have secondaries online?

hey,

i was in a similar situation this time last year... i took a trip to china, and i did my secondaries while on vacation (haha). i had one of my friends check the mail for me, and he emailed me the questions i had to write up. i would write them up, get them checked by the appropriate people, and send them off. having internet access is almost a plus, because most secondaries are done online nowadays...

hope that helps

Go.

I think that having an experience abroad would outweigh any slight loss of time on your end with the secondaries. Anyways, they might not get to you before you get back. It is always kind of a guessing game...

I might consider calling the admissions people first from each school you are interested to see when they would get your secondary out. Also, if you are late in getting your AMCAS in, you might not get the secondaries back until august anyways. I would try to get you primary in asap, and notify the schools of your situation.

I actually went to Spain last fall without turning in my secondaries ahead of time. Things worked for me. Just try to cover all your bases.

Go.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by calbears84:
•i'm not from taiwan and have not been to taiwan. so i don't know if i can have access to the internet while im there. um...so as long as i have internet access, i will be ok for the secondaries? all schools have secondaries online?•••••Most schools I applied to mailed their secondaries to me, but a good number did have them online.

Anyway, most of Taiwan is pretty modern. If you go to Taipei, the capital, you'll have internet access without a problem.

Depending on how many schools and which ones you are appplying to, I think it might be really difficult to complete them all in a timely manner while out of the country. While it's true that there are a lot of on-line secondaries, there are also those who send paper ones that need to be typed, and, as oldman mentioned, some have deadlines.