Do I need to take another year off to stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm extremely anxious about getting a good MCAT score for osteopathic schools and I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. I have a cGPA of 3.7, a sGPA of 3.6 (no retakes). I have clinical research experience, non-clinical research experience, scribing experience, shadowing experience, community service...but there's just one problem. Last year, I bombed the MCAT - 499. I'm retaking it this month for this cycle, and I'm scared out of my mind. I'm so afraid that if I bomb it a second time, my shot for medical school is blown.

I took the scored exam: 126/122/128/130. My CARS score was obviously terrible, but I've improved my score since then. Regardless, I'm incredibly anxious about this retake - so much that I've debated taking another year off (I'm already on a gap year). However, I really don't want to do this. Does anyone have any advice? Do I have to take another year off? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You can still get into DO school with a 499 since you're gpa is pretty solid. A 503+ is definitely better...so I say take the MCAT, and work on your verbal score. You have It in you, just relax and live up to your potential!

Is your only worry your MCAT, I'm assuming since your on a gap year that you have had months and months to prepare for your retake so I would hope that your score improves, anyways, I had 2 friends last year both with the same score of 501, and similar stats to yours, they are both oms1's now. Also, what is a score that you would be confident with? A 510? 515? You have to weigh your cost (primary/secondary/travel costs) vs benefit (acceptance). In my own opinion, and I will note that I am only a 2nd year, with the same stats, as long as I scored somewhat better than your previous score, i would apply broadly and give it everything I got this cycle rather to take another year off...my .02$

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, it sounds like your a nervous test taker, so if the MCAT is freaking you out, I hate to break it to you but there's these really hard tests in med school called USMLE/COMLEX, I heard they have like science on them or something

Have you been studying? What are your scores on practice exams? >500 I hope.

If you haven't studied sufficiently DON'T retake it now and wait a year. Take Biochem and work on CARS. If you have studied hard then great go for it.

If you haven't already submitted your apps do a throwaway school and then submit the rest when ur new score comes in or some schools may auto eliminate you for the 499 and it's almost impossible to be un-eliminated. If you have submitted email each school and let them know when your new mcat scores come in.

Best of luck

You can still get into DO school with a 499 since you're gpa is pretty solid. A 503+ is definitely better...so I say take the MCAT, and work on your verbal score. You have It in you, just relax and live up to your potential!

Thank you!

Is your only worry your MCAT, I'm assuming since your on a gap year that you have had months and months to prepare for your retake so I would hope that your score improves, anyways, I had 2 friends last year both with the same score of 501, and similar stats to yours, they are both oms1's now. Also, what is a score that you would be confident with? A 510? 515? You have to weigh your cost (primary/secondary/travel costs) vs benefit (acceptance). In my own opinion, and I will note that I am only a 2nd year, with the same stats, as long as I scored somewhat better than your previous score, i would apply broadly and give it everything I got this cycle rather to take another year off...my .02$

No, I just graduated from my university, so I was in school up until May or so. This year is my year off. How late is too late to take the exam for this cycle? I'm considering pushing it back.

Have you been studying? What are your scores on practice exams? >500 I hope.

If you haven't studied sufficiently DON'T retake it now and wait a year. Take Biochem and work on CARS. If you have studied hard then great go for it.

If you haven't already submitted your apps do a throwaway school and then submit the rest when ur new score comes in or some schools may auto eliminate you for the 499 and it's almost impossible to be un-eliminated. If you have submitted email each school and let them know when your new mcat scores come in.

Best of luck

Yes, they've been above a 500. I've already taken biochem - it's one of my strengths. Thank you for your advice!

I think it's worth trying a cycle to see how things shake out...but plan for a retake just in case.

Especially target the newest schools. I can't recommend LUCOM.

Hi,

I'm extremely anxious about getting a good MCAT score for osteopathic schools and I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. I have a cGPA of 3.7, a sGPA of 3.6 (no retakes). I have clinical research experience, non-clinical research experience, scribing experience, shadowing experience, community service...but there's just one problem. Last year, I bombed the MCAT - 499. I'm retaking it this month for this cycle, and I'm scared out of my mind. I'm so afraid that if I bomb it a second time, my shot for medical school is blown.

I took the scored exam: 126/122/128/130. My CARS score was obviously terrible, but I've improved my score since then. Regardless, I'm incredibly anxious about this retake - so much that I've debated taking another year off (I'm already on a gap year). However, I really don't want to do this. Does anyone have any advice? Do I have to take another year off? Thanks.

I think it's worth trying a cycle to see how things shake out...but plan for a retake just in case.

I am retaking this month, but I've been debating pushing it back to September. Realistically, would this make me too late for this cycle?

I am retaking this month, but I've been debating pushing it back to September. Realistically, would this make me too late for this cycle?

If you do MCAT in Sept then scores will come in Oct. Just do a throwaway school to get your app verified so you don't have to wait another month until November to be complete. An October app is fine, assuming you do well on the MCAT. If you make another 499 or potentially even a 500 then you'll most likely not get any love, so study hard and aim for a 507+, but at least get a 502. Then don't drag your feet on secondaries.

If you do MCAT in Sept then scores will come in Oct. Just do a throwaway school to get your app verified so you don't have to wait another month until November to be complete. An October app is fine, assuming you do well on the MCAT. If you make another 499 or potentially even a 500 then you'll most likely not get any love, so study hard and aim for a 507+, but at least get a 502. Then don't drag your feet on secondaries.

Thank you! So, it takes approximately a month to get verified? When I submitted my application last year (only to one school) it took about 10 days.

Thank you! So, it takes approximately a month to get verified? When I submitted my application last year (only to one school) it took about 10 days.
It varies depending on the month (busiest months are usually Aug & Sept) and how many apps they get in when. Sometimes it can be less and sometimes more time. I think AACOMAS says max of 4-6 weeks depending on when you submit. A couple of people complained last year it was almost 5 weeks for them to get verified. I don't know anyone that took 6 weeks. But either way a throwaway means you submit the same day as your scores come into AACOM.