Do I need to take my electives at places I want to do residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaketheory

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

do you need to do your electives at the hospitals you want to do residency? obviously some may not have a choice, but when i apply for residency and they see i took my electives say in Australia, Harvard, and/or NIH (all of which i couldnt/wouldnt want to do residency at), will the programs i do want to do residency at question my commitment since i didnt do an elective rotation there?

all comments welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

IME doing a rotation at a site where you will be applying is like an "initial interview".

This allows the residents, attendings and ancillary staff to get to know you. More importantly it allows you insight as to whether this would be a place you would be happy working in for several years.

Doing luxury or dream rotations isnt a bad thing at all, but save a couple for those places where you want to match.

do you need to do your electives at the hospitals you want to do residency?

Certainly not. Doing a rotation at the site you wish to do residency may help your chances of getting in to that program (assuming you are well liked). It could also hurt your chances if you are not well liked by the residents and faculty.