NameAlreadyTake

10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
Is taking Organic 2 really necessary? I've already taken Organic 1, and I've read that Organic 2 pretty much just involves memorizing reactions. I live in Canada and plan on applying to Canadian med schools, where Orgo isn't a requirement. So I'm thinking I could just keep studying with my prep books and learn whatever reactions are needed there.

Last edited:

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is taking Organic 2 really necessary? I've already taken Organic 1, and I've read that Organic 2 is pretty much just involves memorizing reactions. I live in Canada and plan on applying to Canadian med schools, where Orgo isn't a requirement. So I'm thinking I could just keep studying with my prep books and learn whatever reactions are needed there.
With it not being required and the lack of its importance, I would recommend not taking it and getting a detailed review book like Berk review and learning the basics to get you through the test.

MegaSpectacular

Removed
Dec 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Is taking Organic 2 really necessary? I've already taken Organic 1, and I've read that Organic 2 pretty much just involves memorizing reactions. I live in Canada and plan on applying to Canadian med schools, where Orgo isn't a requirement. So I'm thinking I could just keep studying with my prep books and learn whatever reactions are needed there.
I finished pretty high in Ochem (class rank). 2nd semester is when I really began to think in Ochem; After seeing so many reactions you begin to intuit what will happen before it happens.

My MCAT advice:

• Take all the prereqs
  • Give yourself 3 months to study with nothing else to do
Try to make these two things happen and you can do really well. If not then your chances go down.

Do you have to? Nope, but it makes success more likely.

If you asked me if being in a partying fraternity would hurt your GPA, I would say not necessarily but it probably will. Same with skipping the basics.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Take O-chem 2. The MCATs given over the past year have had quite a bit of O-chem. You do not want to go in unprepared which is what you'd if you skipped O-chem 2. Just look at the 3/27 MCAT club and you'll see that people are stressing about the O-chem.

Furthermore, while it may be different at other schools, O-chem 2 was not route memorization of formulas. During O-chem 2 we had to know those formulas and apply them through retro synthesis. Often times, the retro synthesis problems we were given involved 8+ steps which required good critical thinking skills. All that doesn't even cover how we had to utilize spec information (NMR and the like), know the various solvents, how to alter set conditions like temperature, keep in mind the stereochemistry, etc during our problems.

Last edited:

MegaSpectacular

Removed
Dec 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Take O-chem 2. The MCATs given over the past year have had quite a bit of O-chem. You do not want to go in unprepared which is what you'd if you skipped O-chem 2. Just look at the 3/27 MCAT club and you'll see that people are stressing about the O-chem.

Furthermore, while it may be different at other schools, O-chem 2 was not route memorization of formulas. During O-chem 2 we had to know those formulas and apply them through retro synthesis. Often times, the retro synthesis problems we were given involved 8+ steps which required good critical thinking skills. All that doesn't even cover how we had to utilize spec information (NMR and the like), know the various solvents, how to alter set conditions like temperature, keep in mind the stereochemistry, etc during our problems.
:thumbup:

the master has spoken

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I would say don't bother taking the course if it isn't required. Of course, this assumes you did well in Orgo 1 and feel relatively comfortable with the subject. If not, it may be hard to learn the orgo necessary just from review books. As Mega said, Orgo 2 is when I really grasped the concepts well (especially after blowing off Orgo 1) so that helped me a lot.