Do I need to take Step 2 CK before applying for anesthesia residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nh278

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

For those of you who have been through the match process for anesthesia, I was wondering, is it necessary to take Step 2 CK before applying? I have a relatively strong Step 1 score (248) and am worried that I may not do as well on Step 2 CK. I know that taking it can help bolster a weak Step 1 score, but I feel that my score should be fine. I am however aiming for mid-top tier academic programs in large cities (NYC, Chicago, etc.)

I know some residency directors select for interviews based purely on Step 1 score, but if a Step 2 score was available and was poor, would they look at that too and revoke an interview they would have otherwise given to that person if the person had only applied with a Step 1 score? (i.e. Will a person with a 248 on step 1 but mediocre step 2 score not get an interview over someone also with a 248 on step 1 but no step 2 score, assuming all other factors are equal?)

If possible, if it is more of a risk than a potential benefit, I would like to postpone taking Step 2 CK and not have to stress over doing well on it.

Other info: Current M3 at top 40 MD school; ranked in top quartile

Thanks for any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there has been any semblance of a consensus on this issue, but there seems to be a stronger trend towards taking Step 2 CK than in the past.

I think of Step 2 CK as additional information towards your strength as a candidate, and if it's lacking it is less information known about you than other applicants who may also be comparable. I was faced with a similar scenario when I was applying, I had a Step 1 in the 260s and was initially leaning towards taking Step 2 CK late enough to not have it on my application. However, I ultimately decided that I wanted to submit an application with as much reliable evidence as possible regarding my "strength" as an applicant so I ultimately took Step 2 CK in time for applying and submitted it. I figured if I didn't have it available and I wasn't happy with my match that I would always wonder if it was because I didn't take it, I was also confident I could get a score that was at least competitive enough to not be ashamed of it.

Also, and this is by no means any sort of guarantee, but the majority of individuals have an improvement on their Step 2 CK score relative to their Step 1 score (but by no means is this a rule, there will always be exceptions). I believe that Step 2 CK routinely has a somewhat higher average than Step 1.

I don't think there has been any semblance of a consensus on this issue, but there seems to be a stronger trend towards taking Step 2 CK than in the past.

I think of Step 2 CK as additional information towards your strength as a candidate, and if it's lacking it is less information known about you than other applicants who may also be comparable. I was faced with a similar scenario when I was applying, I had a Step 1 in the 260s and was initially leaning towards taking Step 2 CK late enough to not have it on my application. However, I ultimately decided that I wanted to submit an application with as much reliable evidence as possible regarding my "strength" as an applicant so I ultimately took Step 2 CK in time for applying and submitted it. I figured if I didn't have it available and I wasn't happy with my match that I would always wonder if it was because I didn't take it, I was also confident I could get a score that was at least competitive enough to not be ashamed of it.

Also, and this is by no means any sort of guarantee, but the majority of individuals have an improvement on their Step 2 CK score relative to their Step 1 score (but by no means is this a rule, there will always be exceptions). I believe that Step 2 CK routinely has a somewhat higher average than Step 1.

I agree with this. I had a similar step 1 and decided to complete step 2 prior to app submission. Ended up going up 15 points. If you are already performing well academically, you should be able to improve on your score if you study for it seriously. It was a much easier testing experience than Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can second this sentiment, I studied seriously for Step 2 CK, but ultimately probably half the effort as Step 1.

I would take it early so you don’t have to think about it and just enjoy 4th year. I don’t like having things hang over my head. As long as your score doesn’t drop to a score that makes people wonder if you have the requisite minimum intelligence to pass the boards, I doubt a small score drop would matter.

That being said, just put the work in for 2 weeks or whatever the latest studying trend is and get it done. My assumption on why step 2 scores go up is that entire specialties seem to almost blow it off making the curve more favorable. (No idea if this ever was or is still true today.)

At my medical school, the vast majority of people took step 2 the first block of 4th year. We had a lottery system for picking 4th year rotations. I realized that if I took time off and studied for step 2 second block, I would be able to get whatever rotation I wanted during the first block while everyone else was taking step 2 without using my “lottery priority” for timing my other rotations. This also meant that I spent the first 4 weeks in the highly sought after ICU and secured quality, relevant ICU letters and useful clinical perspective that came in handy for early interviews.

In retrospect, I found interview season to be more tiring than anticipated. I would have found studying for step 2 during that exhausting.

Hi all,

For those of you who have been through the match process for anesthesia, I was wondering, is it necessary to take Step 2 CK before applying? I have a relatively strong Step 1 score (248) and am worried that I may not do as well on Step 2 CK. I know that taking it can help bolster a weak Step 1 score, but I feel that my score should be fine. I am however aiming for mid-top tier academic programs in large cities (NYC, Chicago, etc.)

I know some residency directors select for interviews based purely on Step 1 score, but if a Step 2 score was available and was poor, would they look at that too and revoke an interview they would have otherwise given to that person if the person had only applied with a Step 1 score? (i.e. Will a person with a 248 on step 1 but mediocre step 2 score not get an interview over someone also with a 248 on step 1 but no step 2 score, assuming all other factors are equal?)

If possible, if it is more of a risk than a potential benefit, I would like to postpone taking Step 2 CK and not have to stress over doing well on it.

Other info: Current M3 at top 40 MD school; ranked in top quartile

Thanks for any feedback.
USMD with 248 and no red flags, you will get plenty of interviews with just that Step 1 if you apply broadly enough. That being said you should get it out of the way as soon as possible since 1) you need CK to graduate 2) some programs need CK to keep you on the rank list comes February 3) Studying for CK during interview season will be a bitch and after the season finished you will not have any energy left to do anything and you will be 100x dumber than when you started 4th year. Trust me on that.

Also many programs won't grant you an interview unless you checked that Step 2CK box.

Score-wise based on the comments I got on the interview trail this year, I feel like as long as you score similar to your Step 1 no one will care. Note that the average for Step 2 CK is higher so that means a bit of a drop on percentiles.
Don't overthink it, study seriously for 2-3 weeks. If you passed all your shelfs you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
everything sounds good, I been through the process. inbox me if you still need help

I was specifically advised by my Dean NOT to take Step 2 CK owing to my doing very well on Step 1. He said it could only hurt me.

Maybe things have changed, but that was only 7-8 years ago.

got a 244 this last season. didnt take ck till late september, got it back end of october i was worried about the same thing you were. i had 15 interview offers before my score came back so i really doesnt matter. there a just a handfull f school that will not offer an interview untill they have ck. wake Forrest included. youll be fine taking it late. but but im certain youll do better on it. just put in a solid month and a half. or take it in september gave me plenty of time to get a 266. that looked really good. if you werent n the 240s id say take it early.

got a 244 this last season. didnt take ck till late september, got it back end of october i was worried about the same thing you were. i had 15 interview offers before my score came back so i really doesnt matter. there a just a handfull f school that will not offer an interview untill they have ck. wake Forrest included. youll be fine taking it late. but but im certain youll do better on it. just put in a solid month and a half. or take it in september gave me plenty of time to get a 266. that looked really good. if you werent n the 240s id say take it early.

Yeah, wake forest didn’t interview me. I guess now I know why.

But Stanford did.